FERRIS 1500Z W BAGGER TEARING UP MY LAWN???

ALLEDAR

Forum Newbie
Threads
I HAVE A 2005 FERRIS 1500z 225 HRS. W 48" DECK 21 KAWI AND FAST VAC IT HAS HAD A WHEEL MOTOR REPLACED AND NEW PARTS FROM FERRIS WITHOUT SUCCESS. UPHILL TURNS ARE DIGGING UP MY LAWN AND IT SEEMS UNRELATED TO SPEED.WHEN I ACCELERATE IN A STRAIGHT LINE IT WILL ALSO STRIP GRASS TO THE SOIL. FERRIS DEALERS HAVE DONE THE WORK AND HAVE RETREATED TO THE SAFE RESPONSE OF IT MUST BE YOU GO S L O W E R . IT DOESNT SEEM TO HELP AND I DO NOT WANT TO SPEND HOURS CUTTING MY LAWN. I AM CLOSE TO SELLNG IT AND GOING EXMARK. THOUGHTS-SUGGESTIONS- IDEAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
WELCOME TO LMF! :biggrin:

I THINK THAT QUESTION WOULD GET A QUICKER RESPONSE IN THE FERRIS FORUM.

Oops, my caps lock stuck, too:wink: :laughing:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello ALLEDAR
Welcome to the forum...
twall Is right, try with caps lock OFF, it makes things easier to read, and these posts are meant to be read...
Also it allows the ability to type something with emphasis when you switch to capps...

To your problem with your Ferris, I don't think it's SPEED related... those are designed to mow at speed...
Has it always had this problem? OR did it develop to the point of needing a wheel motor replaced?
Is there any difference with the FAST-Vac bags full or empty?
The problem with acceleration is it BOTH wheels or only the one?

Ferris makes a good machine, this should not be imposable to figure out... :smile:KennyV

ALLEDAR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kenny V: I have a had the problem for several years but it became most destructive when I put the fast vac on last year. I have had the right wheel motor replaced (looking at the tractor from the rear) it virtually had no effect. I have tried both increasing and then decreasing the pressure in both front and rear tires, without effect. The weight of the bagger (grass or leaf content) does not seem to intensify the problem. I have had the bagger removed and it improves the problem i.e. decreases from horrific to awful. I have talked to Ferris repair several times and they offered to replace small parts that adjust the steering that they would pay for and I did have the parts changed. I am still open to the idea that it is me and even going slow the problem reoccurs, most pronounced on left hand uphill turns where the wheel motor replacement is on the down side. I have a recommendation from the dealer to change the pumps, given the wheel motor was $800.00, I do not want to start the " lets try this approach, ok that didn't work lets try that instead". I am optimistic that someone on the forum has familiarity with this issue and can narrow down the options. I have read many of your your responses to other question posed by members and you sound quite knowledgeable hope you can help.

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
ALLEDAR...
I'm not positive but I think Ferris uses Hydro-gear pumps and wheel motors, They have a great reputation and I can not understand why your dealer could not determine that there was a problem with the pump vs wheel motor, they should NEVER have to try the R&R approach to fix a hydraulic problem... pressure gages and flow meters will find the problem...
The pump should feather smoothly from stop to full speed without any sudden acceleration..

If I am understanding this correctly, it is only doing this on the right side, correct? :smile:KennyV

ALLEDAR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kenny V: ( I lost the reply to you, or at least I can not find it, so if it appears twice you will know why). Hydro dear does O.E.M. the wheel motors for Ferris. The problem seems to occur on both sides although the right side ( w. motor rplct. side) is the predominant destuctive issue. The wheel motor was replaced by a dealer who was unable to resolve the problem. I sent the 1500z to another dealer who worked with Ferris for two weeks to diagnose and repair the problem. while replacing some steering parts. I believe the second dealer convinced Ferris Repair the issue was user error then billed me $275. and sent the tractor back. I am hesitant to get involved with any more dealers as I anticipate more cost and continued problems. I will attempt to find someone to work on site to perform flow studies as you suggest, I have had it with the transportation charges as their are only two dealers one at 20+miles and the other at 40 miles. I will update you when I can report some progress.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't think Kenny is a Ferris mechanic, or a philosopher on hydromechanical systems as your posts would suggest the need thereof (although he might be)....your question seems to need professional advice. If Kenny can adequately advise you, I'd forevermore deem him in the esteem of kings and nobles of hydro and mechanical conduit.......but, I digress.

This discussion is still happening under 'site discussion' and not 'Ferris forum', which is why I post at all. This is a Ferris issue, and I think this should at least be moved unto the kingdom of the Ferris subject matter, since it has not any merit being in the 'site discussion' domain here.

THERE IS A FERRIS FORUM HERE. IF YOU'RE AFTER FREE ADVICE, BOTHER TO LOOK FOR IT IN THE RIGHT PLACE.

ALLEDAR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Twal: i did not realize that there was a policing function evaluating discussion, are you self appointed or do you have an official function. To broaden you understanding of the issue, this is not a Ferris issue it is a Zero Turn Issue. I expect there are hundreds of members who are very knopwledgeable about this issue and might be willing to provide advise or suggestions based on their experience, KennyV is one such person. The free issue I am confused about , do you normally charge for discussion ???

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Twal: i did not realize that there was a policing function evaluating discussion, are you self appointed or do you have an official function. To broaden you understanding of the issue, this is not a Ferris issue it is a Zero Turn Issue. I expect there are hundreds of members who are very knopwledgeable about this issue and might be willing to provide advise or suggestions based on their experience, KennyV is one such person. The free issue I am confused about , do you normally charge for discussion ???

I'm just saying, I've seen a lot of people who just post a question in the little section at the bottom, rather than look for an appropriate place elsewhere in the site. That would lead me to think that said poster didn't really want to be a part of the overall community, just get a quick answer to a problem, and vanish. Yes, i think it's irritating.

This forum we are now in is for site issues. If you have a problem with the site acting up or something, or a suggestion to add more to the overall site, you post here.

Your question mentions Ferris over and over. It ISN'T a general issue, or you wouldn't have mentioned "FERRIS" in the title of the thread. I just said it'd be better placed in the Ferris forum, to be ignored. Fine - whatever. So, I posted a stronger suggestion that you take it to the Ferris forum. If you think it's for zero-turns in general, great - then post it in the General forum at the top of the page.

As far as free advice, you're not paying for it, are you (not even by contributing a tad in another forum)? You already stated that you don't want to go to the dealer again to get another no-fix 'solution'. I understand that. But, you could have at least LOOKED at the rest of the site (and perhaps found the appropriate forum to post in). That's my point. You were so in a hurry for an answer, you didn't even look at the rest of the site, did you? :rolleyes:

I actually wish there was a section right down here where people who are doing just that, can simply ask a question, without having to join the community. I've brought it up, but the risk of spammers/abuse are too great I guess. Now THAT'S site discussion! IN the 'site discussion' forum :biggrin:

Last edited:

Berniep

Threads
Well whatever section we are in and until they get it moved to an appropriate section I can still ask a question or two.
Does it jerk when you take off?
Does it do it in the same place always?
Have you tried it on turf in another location? ie. neighbors yard, dealer etc.
Sometimes certain conditions can make turf more susceptible to peeling up like that.
I am thinking it MAY be that it would happen with any zero turn mower.
Seems to me the mower would be very jerky to peel up healthy grass like that.
Mine tears up the ground less than my much lighter dixon did. (so far, only one mowing)