FERRIS 1500Z W BAGGER TEARING UP MY LAWN???

ALLEDAR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Berniep: I have a sloping hill a large flat front yard and a sloping (20 degree s) to my drive way and I have had the most issues with the 20 degree down slope which is where i have mentioned the destructive left hand uphill turns I do not feel a jerking on straightaways but I do find myself trying to minimize turns to avoid stripping. I have used a lawn service during a hospitalization and they used two 60" eXmarks with 27 Kawis and I did not experience the strip tears or the ruts. I hope I do not have to go to the eXmark Forum because I mentioned eXmark it seems like there are a lot of unspecified rules not consistent with a definition of a Forum. I am not necessarily looking for FREE but more specifically knowledge and experiential options. I have been been satisfied with the thought process that went into yours and KennV's questions and that is why I continued to provide as much information as I thought useful to the problem. I am certain there are many similarities in Z Turn mowers regardless of the manufacturer. Thanks

Berniep

Threads
Berniep: I have a sloping hill a large flat front yard and a sloping (20 degree s) to my drive way and I have had the most issues with the 20 degree down slope which is where i have mentioned the destructive left hand uphill turns I do not feel a jerking on straightaways but I do find myself trying to minimize turns to avoid stripping. I have used a lawn service during a hospitalization and they used two 60" eXmarks with 27 Kawis and I did not experience the strip tears or the ruts. I hope I do not have to go to the eXmark Forum because I mentioned eXmark it seems like there are a lot of unspecified rules not consistent with a definition of a Forum. I am not necessarily looking for FREE but more specifically knowledge and experiential options. I have been been satisfied with the thought process that went into yours and KennV's questions and that is why I continued to provide as much information as I thought useful to the problem. I am certain there are many similarities in Z Turn mowers regardless of the manufacturer. Thanks

Well this is an odd place to post a question about a mower as this forum section is for issues related to the website itself.
A more appropriate section would be the top one labeled "General mower discussion". You can find it by clicking "Forum" near the top left of this page.
Most folks would probably not generally even read this section so you are limiting your audience and potential for helpful suggestions. I only saw your post when I clicked today's posts which displays all posts made today no matter what forum section. I don't know how many folks use that option.
I dont think it matters whether you get free advice and never post again. I do get irritated when folks never follow up and leave us wondering, or worse, leave someone with the same problem wondering at the solution.

Now to your problem.
It is my GUESS that there are different conditions from when the ex-mark operators mowed your yard.
The ex-marks cant be that much lighter than your Ferris and ruts would be formed if the ex-mark guys would have mowed it now. As to the turns, there is a skill involved in making turns without tearing up your yard and those lawn service operators have many thousands of hours of experience and are adept at avoiding things that make customers complain.
I find that you cant just go wide open on the turns. You have to be careful and keep the inside wheel turning a little bit. This shouldn't slow you down a lot you can still go wide open on the straights.
And remember the pure physics of turning 1500+ lb machine takes some force.
I would expect your dealer to have already gone over this with you before selling you a wheel motor but you never know.

Jetblast

Threads
First it starts with wrong forum postin' and the next thing you know people are slow dancing and tearing tags off of mattresses. What kind of world do you want to live in??

Attachments

• barneyfife.jpg
    barneyfife.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 10

Jetblast

Threads
Always easy to overlook the cheap fixes, how's the air in your rear tires? If they're inflated to over 10-15 lbs. you might not be getting all the traction you need. It also may help to be extra mindful of smoothness on acceleration and take that extra second to get back up to speed on your way out of turns. On the uphill turns your inside rear tire is going to be a little light vs other scenarios, so turn your head and watch a few times to see what it takes to keep it from slipping as you make them. I wouldn't spend any more money on part until you're sure your technique is right on the money and your adjustments (like tire pressure) are as well. Good luck.

ALLEDAR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to those who responded, sorry to have annoyed the others. I will attempt to utilize the suggestions which seem relevant. Good Bye no need to respond.

Jetblast

Threads
Hey, don't worry. 99% of us weren't annoyed at all and I hate to see someone get chased off by something as trivial as posting in the wrong forum.

Give us another chance! Besides, I'm curious to see if tire air pressure had anything to do with it.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Jetblast said:
Hey, don't worry. 99% of us weren't annoyed at all and I hate to see someone get chased off by something as trivial as posting in the wrong forum.

Give us another chance! Besides, I'm curious to see if tire air pressure had anything to do with it.

As I said, I don't think he planned on sticking around anyhow. I agree with Berniep that when someone varnishes, it leaves everyone hanging as to what the problem turned out to be, or if one of the suggestions worked - and which one.

He wasn't 'chased off', he responed aplenty after I posted. He got what he wanted and left- and if that issue arises in a question again , I guess we'll never know.

Jetblast

Threads
As I said, I don't think he planned on sticking around anyhow. I agree with Berniep that when someone varnishes, it leaves everyone hanging as to what the problem turned out to be, or if one of the suggestions worked - and which one.

He wasn't 'chased off', he responed aplenty after I posted. He got what he wanted and left- and if that issue arises in a question again , I guess we'll never know.

I don't mind if folks post and run. I used to hang around electronics forums and got used to not hearing outcomes, often after going to great lengths to provide assistance. That's OK, I'm not in it for kudos and congratulations. I'm just in it to see if I can throw out a helpful idea and to keep my brain exercised. What does stink, as you said, is that other forum members with similar issues and people doing Google searches will find topics unresolved. Not much you can do about that though.

He may or may not have hung around, but I think you put that on him without giving the benefit of the doubt, which forced your own conclusion. No one's getting killed here, so I don't see much harm in keeping things light and letting people use this place as they see fit as long as they're not spamming, trolling, or repeatedly breaking forum rules and protocols. That's the way I see it, but I can't force everyone to do things my way. Like you, I have no authority here whatsoever. That said, I don't mean to bust your bean because you seem like a good guy 99.9% of the time, which greatly exceeds my current batting average. :smile: Hypocrisy is the American way and I'm a good American.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't mind if folks post and run. I used to hang around electronics forums and got used to not hearing outcomes, often after going to great lengths to provide assistance. That's OK, I'm not in it for kudos and congratulations. I'm just in it to see if I can throw out a helpful idea and to keep my brain exercised. What does stink, as you said, is that other forum members with similar issues and people doing Google searches will find topics unresolved. Not much you can do about that though.

He may or may not have hung around, but I think you put that on him without giving the benefit of the doubt, which forced your own conclusion. No one's getting killed here, so I don't see much harm in keeping things light and letting people use this place as they see fit as long as they're not spamming, trolling, or repeatedly breaking forum rules and protocols. That's the way I see it, but I can't force everyone to do things my way. Like you, I have no authority here whatsoever. That said, I don't mean to bust your bean because you seem like a good guy 99.9% of the time, which greatly exceeds my current batting average. :smile: Hypocrisy is the American way and I'm a good American.

Good post.....and I'm liken the new avatar by the way.
Twall was just trying to point.... er ...shove er.... throw the guy to the right place. If he would have listened to Twall he may very well have gotten some useful info.
I was wondering if those hydraulic systems have a valve to regulate flow like a 3pt hitch does. Maybe the someone forgot to reset it. Maybe his engine speed was set too high.
Can't really blame him for being agravated when the dealer shruggs his shoulders and says it operator error.

Berniep

Threads
Yaay!!!
Her we are in the ferris forum!
Too bad he got mad a left.
Some folks are just not compatible with message boards.