PTO Clutch won't engage

ScottD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello I have a 2166 cub cadet, i mowed yesterday with no problems. Started today but clutch won't engage. I have power on both wires no matter pto switch postion. I disconnect the wires from clutch then i have power on one side, when i pull up the switch i have power on both sides. I believe that is the way its works. Do i have a bad pto clutch that needs replaced or is it something else. Thank you

Retiredcarguy

Threads
A basic question first, has the battery been weak or recently discharged? A PTO clutch is a relatively high current device. On many brands, a weak battery or charging system can prevent PTO engagement.

ScottD

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thought the same thing, so I put the charger on it for a few hrs. I checked voltage of the battery and it was 12.6-12.8 without engine running, 14 with engine running.

ScottD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just done a continuity test and i have continuity going through the clutch. Also what grounds the clutch, is it the stop pin or does it go back through the switch?

Retiredcarguy

Threads
Just done a continuity test and i have continuity going through the clutch. Also what grounds the clutch, is it the stop pin or does it go back through the switch?

Does it have one or two wires on the clutch? Two may mean that one goes to ground.

ScottD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Clutch has two wires one red and one blue. The red wire has power as soon as the key is turned on. The blue has power when you pull the pto switch. I used an ohm meter to check the clutch and it read 3.4 ohms, which i believe means the clutch is ok. As I stated before when I reconnect the wires and turn the key on I get power on both red and blue wires.

Retiredcarguy

Threads
Clutch has two wires one red and one blue. The red wire has power as soon as the key is turned on. The blue has power when you pull the pto switch. I used an ohm meter to check the clutch and it read 3.4 ohms, which i believe means the clutch is ok. As I stated before when I reconnect the wires and turn the key on I get power on both red and blue wires.

It seems as red is B+ and blue may be ground. I would suggest that you verify.

Is there a functional seat safety switch?
Is there a functional PTO reverse switch?
Both are used to defeat PTO engagement.

Draw a simple schematic and then check the voltage drops across each component. It should show the open component and cause.

packardv8

Threads
FWIW, those machines which route all the safety switch wires through the PTO switch will always be trouble. I replaced the switch itself once, then one-by-one, removed and rewired without the backup disable, seat disable and brake start. At various times, all these kept the machine from starting or cutting.

FWIW, I got my 2135 at a good price because the original purchaser couldn't do the troubleshooting and got frustrated with the continual wiring-related problems.

jack vines

ScottD

Forum Newbie
Threads
retiredcarguy thank you for all ur help and info. You were correct that the blue wire is a ground. I bypassed the switch entirely and installed a toggle to the clutch, works great now.
packardv8 I was given this lawn mower because my father in law couldn't get it running (the only shelter it has seen is a under a tree its entire life) I've got 50 bucks invested in it so far so any and all help i can get from here is greatly appreciated.
Also in return anything i learn by trial and error i will report as i come across. THANKS TO ALL AGIAN ON THIS ADVENTURE

Charlieshan

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you are going to bypass the PTO switch with a toggle..which color wire would you put the toggle on?The blue ground since it is a ground based system? I am having the very same problem!
ltx 2150