New Raptor SD clutch rattle

Eric21

Threads
I don't think the recall has anything to do with the rattling. But my dealer just put a shim in it, said if there is anymore problems that he would just replace the whole clutch and the stop.

JPR

Threads
I don't think the recall has anything to do with the rattling. But my dealer just put a shim in it, said if there is anymore problems that he would just replace the whole clutch and the stop.

You are correct. This is what I know as of now...

1. I emailed my dealer (our usual, initial method of contact). This usually takes only a couple of days to respond.

2. Emailed Hustler requesting any information they have on the subject.

3. Jack, from Hustler, contacted me very quickly via email requesting information. We had a couple of emails during this conversation. He recommend I take the mower to the dealer and let them fix it up.

4. Meanwhile, I spoke to Chris at our dealer (Muscatine Lawn and Power). He has been looking into the situation and discussing it with Hustler. He even went on to explain what is "really" happening and why it's happening. Honestly, it was all pretty much jibberish to me. lol

5. Later that evening, Mark from Hustler contacted me via the phone. He pretty much reassured me that Hustler is not only aware of the issue, but have been in direct contact with my dealer. He went on to try and explain what is causing it, again -- jibberish to me. He mentioned there are differrent ways of reducing the noise, but they could possibly only be a short term fix. Hustler has been working on fixing it from happening in the first place, not just a temp fix.

6. Where this is at for me... Hustler is sending parts to my dealer to see what helps this issue the best. I'll be contacted at that time. I was reassured by Hustler this will not harm the machine.

Overall, I am very confident this is getting the attention it needs. I'm extremely happy with the speed these guys are replying to everything going on. Kudos goes out to Chris from Muscatine Lawn and Power, as well as Jack and Mark from Hustler.

BTW: Mark also spoke of the different methods being tried on these very forums. So if anyone wondered, Yes they do visit lawnmowerforum.com. :)

Bikerdude710

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a Raptor SD 54" a few weeks ago and I LOVE it! except for the same reason everyone else has commented on this thread. I joined LawnWorld a week ago and read this thread about the same rattle that I am currently having. I called my dealer and he informed me that they would come pick up my mower and apply a temporary fix until the permanent fix that Hustler is sending out sometime in November arrives. I asked them what they would do and they told me they would apply just a small bit of weld to take up the gap between the clutch and the stop. I asked if I could do it since I have access to the equipment that is necessary and if it would effect my warranty in any way. They assured me that it wouldn't and they will contact me in November to install the permanent fix then. This is the whole reason I wanted to buy from a dealer and not a BBS.

jaybird11

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought a new hustler sd 3 weeks ago but it does have the terrible rattle. the dealer ordered another clutch for it but informed me that clutch that was on it, was in spec, and that hustler probably would not pay for the replacement part)>? Still they installed the new one, and sent the mower back to me. It was quiet for a few minutes, and then started back rattling like a rattle trap after two rounds around my property. This is very annoying and sounds terrible. I can not believe Hustler has not acted to remedy this issue sooner? My neighbor told me my raptor sd sounded like it was gonna fall apart, I kinda agree with him. I've read hustler says it won't hurt the mower and should not be cause for worry... well, maybe not... but it WILL effect the sales on this series unless they get this fix done quickly for this nonsense. For 5k one expects a mower not to have these issues and if there are a permanent retrofit (shim) should be installed on the recall asap. Other than the horrible rattle, the machine is awesome. Cuts my mowing time down considerably and does a fine job on the lawn.

Last edited:

Eric21

Threads
Well the shim my dealer put on broke off yesterday, so back to the dealer it will go. I am not going to settle for the noise, did not pay this much money for it to be told that I have to deal with it.

jaybird11

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well the shim my dealer put on broke off yesterday, so back to the dealer it will go. I am not going to settle for the noise, did not pay this much money for it to be told that I have to deal with it.

Did your dealer mention anything about a Hustler recall/fix coming November in the past ? I have read a few comments about something coming, but no confirmation of any kind from dealer/ nor hustler

MTWallet

Forum Newbie
Threads

New 54" SD owner here, I fixed the clutch rattle by flattening the bend in the tang that is bolted to the frame a little bit so that the end of the tang just comes into contact with the curve of the slot on the clutch. There is still a gap on either side of the tang (where the shim was put by your dealer) but the clutch can't vibrate because the end of the tang is in direct contact with the clutch slot. You could see on the back side of the tang where a machine gripped it to put the bend into the metal, I just flattened it back slightly.

jaybird11

Forum Newbie
Threads
New 54" SD owner here, I fixed the clutch rattle by flattening the bend in the tang that is bolted to the frame a little bit so that the end of the tang just comes into contact with the curve of the slot on the clutch. There is still a gap on either side of the tang (where the shim was put by your dealer) but the clutch can't vibrate because the end of the tang is in direct contact with the clutch slot. You could see on the back side of the tang where a machine gripped it to put the bend into the metal, I just flattened it back slightly.

Do you think you could photograph and post a pic of that so that I could force feed that to my dealer ? I cut my lawn with mine this afternoon, love the machine, but the rattle is just stupid. I also emailed Hustler today, but have not heard back from them. appreciate your help.

Kremeneon

Threads
So basically you bent the clutch anchor arm slightly toward the driveshaft/center of the clutch.

MTWallet

Forum Newbie
Threads
So basically you bent the clutch anchor arm slightly toward the driveshaft/center of the clutch.

Exactly.

I remembered reading in a post somewhere about the rattle that a dealer made an "adjustment" or was going to make an adjustment to remove the rattle but it didn't involve using a shim. I tried just loosening the anchor arm bolts to see if there was enough play in the attach points to get rid of the rattle, it helped, but not enough, so I removed the arm and used a mallet to flatten it a little. Took a couple of off and on tries to get it just right. I would say don't over do it though, because that would put a side load on the clutch/shaft when you tighten up the attachment bolts of the anchor.