Stihl autocut C5-2

Stihluser

Threads
I have a stihl fs38 with an autocut C5-2 head on it. It is specified to take 2mm line, but i have seen people using 2.4mm line in it in life and on youtube. Does this damage the clutch (due to being slightly heavier) and would it put undue strain on the head or guard? Also might it invalidate the 2 year warrenty i currently have on the strimmer?
Thanks.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, it is not that hard on the clutch, what usually takes out the clutch is when the owner takes off the guard and runs a wider cutting swathe.
I would look into the tougher lines put out by Oregon, the platinum twist line, it is expensive, but not that much more than Stihl, but very tough,
and comes in the smaller diameters.

Stihluser

Threads
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know whether it might affect the warranty?

O.I.L

Forum Newbie
Threads
We sell more Oregon line than Stihl for our Stihl trimmers. Use the proper size in Gatorline or Platinum twist and you will have no problem. As Fish said run the guard for proper length. We warranty with either string.

Stihluser

Threads
We sell more Oregon line than Stihl for our Stihl trimmers. Use the proper size in Gatorline or Platinum twist and you will have no problem. As Fish said run the guard for proper length. We warranty with either string.

I already have 2 year warranty from PA Turney ltd, where i bought the strimmer. Basically what i am wandering is whether they will cancel the warranty if i start using 2.4mm line rather than 2mm, and also whether it would damage the strimmer in any way.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have worked for Stihl dealers for many years, which is why I responded. No, it won't hurt anything, Stihl looks for abuse like running with no guard when there is a clutch failure. If you should ever have any problem, be smart and wind back in the smaller string and don't bring up the topic,
but on a homeowner little trimmer like that, you won't have any problem. If you do, contact me here and I will mail you a new clutch for free, as
I sell those parts online, and the clutch and drum is a very slow moving part.

Stihluser

Threads
I have worked for Stihl dealers for many years, which is why I responded. No, it won't hurt anything, Stihl looks for abuse like running with no guard when there is a clutch failure. If you should ever have any problem, be smart and wind back in the smaller string and don't bring up the topic,
but on a homeowner little trimmer like that, you won't have any problem. If you do, contact me here and I will mail you a new clutch for free, as
I sell those parts online, and the clutch and drum is a very slow moving part.
Thanks! So basically just don't tell them I was using the 2.4mm stuff? :wink:

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, why would you tell them that?