Mowing in the rain

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The water gets the flywheel and coil wet.
We had some early morning rain

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
I've never heard of a mower being too wet to start! Did water get into the intake? The only other thing I can think of would be the magneto shorting out.

I did that once on a Dixon Z-turn! Pulling back on the handles with wheels going full speed in reverse while careening forward down the hillside. I looked like Tom Burlinson in the Man From Snowy River! :eek:

Good thing you're alive some tractors slide down wet hills, roll over, and kill or seriously injure the driver.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
we mow in the rain a lot as long as its not causing turf damage. you have to do what you have to do to stay somewhat caught up

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
we mow in the rain a lot as long as its not causing turf damage. you have to do what you have to do to stay somewhat caught up

I mow if it is light rain and if it is not causing any damage. You can't avoid wet grass in this profession.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
I mow if it is light rain and if it is not causing any damage. You can't avoid wet grass in this profession.

don't get me wrong I love love dustless 70 degree days, but let's face it wet grass is part of what you have to deal with if you want to make a living.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I love cutting wet grass but really starting to hate the rain.

It seems like every time I have to get a lot of yards done it comes a flood.

Blaine B.

Threads
In June 2013 I was mowing, and a storm was coming in. I didn't stop. Severe lightning and downpour and all. It even started to hail for a bit. I stopped momentarily when a hailstone hit me in the head. As soon as it stopped I continued and ended up finishing the yard, just so I could hurry up and get out of my sopping wet clothing.

As people drove on by, I probably looked ridiculous, mowing the lawn in a torrential downpour.

stevendrew12

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mowing wet grass With the rainy weather lately, it is inevitable that you will have to mow when it is wet. Though we much prefer to mow when the grass is dry, it is better to mow when wet rather than waiting until the grass is dry but grown to 8 inches tall. A couple of pointers for mowing wet grass; keep you blade always sharp.

Blaine B.

Threads
I once read that it was best to sharpen your blade, but not make it too sharp because it will dull faster.

I am not sure if that makes any sense or not.

bt3

Threads
It's all about ground saturation for me. If it's soggy and there is a good chance of generating mud or causing turf damage, I won't mow. If I'm close to finishing and it starts to rain, I'll probably continue unless it's a downpour. If it's actively raining, I won't START to mow. I wait until the precipitation stops. If the grass is just wet, I will usually mow. Some mornings the dew is so intense, you'd think it had rained.