Gcv190 rebuild advice

240addiction

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a hrx217hxa on craiglist that sounded like it had a knock of some kind(I also got a hrb217tda and a hrx217tda for 250 total). The previous owner was not sure what happened, but the knock was most noticable at low rpm and did not change if the the blades were enabled. I figured it was a rod knock and decided to pull the mower and see if I could figure out the issue with it. Well I got it apart tonight and found the following.

[/URL
[URL=http://s209.photobucket.com/user/240addiction/media/20140611_220314_zpsrqmje4nl.jpg.html]

So the crank looks like it may have had too much run out on the top and the in and out play was over the allowable amount. Does the groove on the cylinder barrel look like it wore quite a bit? My main question is if this is worth rebuilding or should I try and find a used motor. Parts look like they will be 160 or so. So far what I will need are the cylinder barrel, crank, piston, rod and rings. The oil pan looks fine IMO.

Thanks

Paul

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bought a hrx217hxa on craiglist that sounded like it had a knock of some kind

My main question is if this is worth rebuilding or should I try and find a used motor. Parts look like they will be 160 or so. So far what I will need are the cylinder barrel, crank, piston, rod and rings. The oil pan looks fine IMO.

A consumer with this engine would be told by a professional shop to get jut buy a new engine, as the cost of parts and labor to rebuild would exceed the cost of a new engine.

So if you just want to rebuild it for fun, and have (free) time to spend, go for it.

240addiction

Forum Newbie
Threads
A consumer with this engine would be told by a professional shop to get jut buy a new engine, as the cost of parts and labor to rebuild would exceed the cost of a new engine.

So if you just want to rebuild it for fun, and have (free) time to spend, go for it.
Robert,

Would the motors from one of the other two work on it if I swapped all the accessories over to it?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert,

Would the motors from one of the other two work on it if I swapped all the accessories over to it?

Hard to say for absolute sure, as the engines are slightly different from mower to mower. These should all be very close, however.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you got all 3 for 250 I say junk this one and keep the other two not worth the time money and effort imho

240addiction

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I thought that it might be fun to rebuild this mower because I wanted the roto-stop and I was gonna sell off the other two. So I went ahead and I ordered the cylinder barrel, oil pan and crank kit. I started to put it back together this morning and went to install the governor on the new oil pan, but ran into an issue. None of the holes except for the main ones that bolts the motor to the frame got tapped. On the cylinder barrel the only thing that got tapped was the spark plug hole. Is this normal or a manufacturing defect? I can't see any reason they would not tap the holes and leave that up to the end user. I only realized this after I put totgether cylinder barrel. I am not sure what boats.net (where I ordered from) will do now that it has been installed technically (piston and crank installed, piston moved up and down a few times). Any input from anyone that has rebuilt one of these would be nice.

Thanks,

Paul

gfp55

Threads
I bought a hrx217hxa on craiglist that sounded like it had a knock of some kind(I also got a hrb217tda and a hrx217tda for 250 total). The previous owner was not sure what happened, but the knock was most noticable at low rpm and did not change if the the blades were enabled. I figured it was a rod knock and decided to pull the mower and see if I could figure out the issue with it. Well I got it apart tonight and found the following.

So the crank looks like it may have had too much run out on the top and the in and out play was over the allowable amount. Does the groove on the cylinder barrel look like it wore quite a bit? My main question is if this is worth rebuilding or should I try and find a used motor. Parts look like they will be 160 or so. So far what I will need are the cylinder barrel, crank, piston, rod and rings. The oil pan looks fine IMO.

Thanks

Paul

They made lots of those engines, you should be able to find another one. I have GCV190 & 160 setting. Both run good, no oil smoke or knocks. You can have the 190 for $150 plus shipping if you want it. I have no use for it.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
None of the holes except for the main ones that bolts the motor to the frame got tapped.

Many of the bolts used to mount external engine parts are self-tapping, thus, the holes for them are not tapped and threaded. I think the carburetor bolts, the recoil starter studs, the coil mounting, etc. are all fitted to the block with self-tapping bolts.

240addiction

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many of the bolts used to mount external engine parts are self-tapping, thus, the holes for them are not tapped and threaded. I think the carburetor bolts, the recoil starter studs, the coil mounting, etc. are all fitted to the block with self-tapping bolts.

That would be ok if the one for the governor and all of the case ones were tapped.

240addiction

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just thought I should update this thread. All of the required holes are self tapped by the bolts that are self tapping. I got it back together and it started right up. I can't believe how quite it is, you can practically talk over it while it is running.