Preventing Ants

greenacre

Threads
Is there any solution to stopping ants before they get going in summer? We had field ants that destroyed the yard at our last house and it's a common problem in this city. I would like to be on the offense this time and prevent it from happening.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is there any solution to stopping ants before they get going in summer?

Coffee grounds... good for the soil & ants don't like it...
Stop at any Starbucks they will give you as much as they have ... :smile:KennyV

poncho62

Threads
I have had good luck with the Black Flag stuff that is a gel, comes in the little red bottle. Great for keeping them out of the house....just put some where you figure they are getting in.

greenacre

Threads
Coffee grounds... good for the soil & ants don't like it...
Stop at any Starbucks they will give you as much as they have ... :smile:KennyV
Really? That's an awesome solution, who doesn't have coffee grounds? My cousin works at Tim Horton's, so I would imagine I can get my hands on a few more.

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
Is there any solution to stopping ants before they get going in summer? We had field ants that destroyed the yard at our last house and it's a common problem in this city. I would like to be on the offense this time and prevent it from happening.

Award ant bait, works very well. 1 1/2 pound of granual per acre. It is kinda expensive, I always got it in 25Ib bag. Goes along way. Treat twice a year.

tarantula

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried coffee grounds and it didn't work in the yard. I dumped the grounds directly on the ant hills and the colony is still there over a week later. I does seem to keep them out of flower pots though.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I tried coffee grounds and it didn't work in the yard. I dumped the grounds directly on the ant hills and the colony is still there over a week later. I does seem to keep them out of flower pots though.

It won't kill ants and I doubt it will displace the colony ...
But they don't like it and will go someplace else... they may eventually relocate their colony but in the mean time they are most likely less happy ants now with espresso every day... :smile:KennyV

Jetblast

Threads
I don't know of anything that will prevent ants. As far as I know you have to wait until you spot ant activity and then drench their mound or nest.

Diazinon was the king killer of ants before it was outlawed, but now we have bifenthrin, cypermethrin and fipronil for mound drenching and they work pretty well. Look for brands with those ingredients and you should be good to go.

somoolive

Threads
The best way is to call the pest control department and ask them to use their pest control device to deal with the ants.