New TB 130 -- Won't Start -- HELP!

okibono44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All-

<1 year old Troy-Bilt 130 (Honda)

1. Won't start - drained gas; filled with non-ethanol and cleaned out all fuel lines and tank w/carb cleaner
2. There must be a spark, because a little flame would shoot out the intake (when the intake filter and cover was removed)
3. It "putters" a few times, but doesn't actually run

Dirty carb? Bad NGK plug?

I don't think it is the ignition if I'm getting spark...thank you SOOOOOOO much for the tips.

CJ

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi All-

<1 year old Troy-Bilt 130 (Honda)

1. Won't start - drained gas; filled with non-ethanol and cleaned out all fuel lines and tank w/carb cleaner
2. There must be a spark, because a little flame would shoot out the intake (when the intake filter and cover was removed)
3. It "putters" a few times, but doesn't actually run

Dirty carb? Bad NGK plug?

I don't think it is the ignition if I'm getting spark...thank you SOOOOOOO much for the tips.

CJ

When the engine is cold, is the choke plate fully closed? This engine has a auto-choke, which is supposed to open/close the choke depending on the engine temp. Here's how to check it:

gcv160autochokeinspection_zps2b3133fc.jpg

If the choke is open, even partially, it will nearly impossible to start a cold engine. Honda recently issued a Service Bulletin for some auto-choke engines that have a sticking choke plate. I can see if your engine is part of the affected batch, but need the engine serial number; it is etched into the side of the engine block, and in the form of "GJAxA-1234567"

okibono44

Forum Newbie
Threads
GJARA-4072765 S3A

Auto choke when placed in "full choke" remained in "full choke" only after 1st pull. Every subsequent pull the auto choke would go from closed to open...I clamped the choke into the full position to see if the mower would start, nothing. I took the carburetor bowl out and cleaned what I could. I reinstalled, but left the filter out to see what would happen. I am getting a little flame action out the intake, but only when there is carburetor spray inside. I pulled the plug and attached a picture. It does smell of fuel and is the correct NGK plug. I attached a short video illustrating full choke application, followed by 3 pulls to no prevail. I'm still at a loss, but sincerely appreciate your help!

image (2).jpg
image.jpg
image (1).jpg

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
GJARA-4072765 S3A

Auto choke when placed in "full choke" remained in "full choke" only after 1st pull. Every subsequent pull the auto choke would go from closed to open...I clamped the choke into the full position to see if the mower would start, nothing. I took the carburetor bowl out and cleaned what I could. I reinstalled, but left the filter out to see what would happen. I am getting a little flame action out the intake, but only when there is carburetor spray inside. I pulled the plug and attached a picture. It does smell of fuel and is the correct NGK plug.

The serial number shows the engine is less that a year old, and it has a 2-year warranty. I'd suggest getting it to a Honda Engine dealer for a full inspection and evaluation. While there are no active Service Bulletins for this engine, the ACRS (Auto Choke Return System) does not seem to be working properly, but can't say for 100% sure.

Anyway, use this link to find an ENGINE dealer in your area, and give them a call. Be sure they contact you for authorization before doing any work. Some dealers will charge a fee to troubleshoot a problem, but will cancel it if the issue is covered under warranty; this policy varies from dealer to dealer, so be sure to discuss before taking the mower in.

[url]http://engines.honda.com/dealer-locator[/URL]

firedawgsatx

Threads
If you removed the carburetor did you make sure the metal lever that closes the choke is behind the rod as shown at top center of the attached photo? If that lever is in front of the the rod the automatic choke will not operate properly.

Attachments

• TroybiltCarbACRS.jpg
    TroybiltCarbACRS.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 56

okibono44

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you removed the carburetor did you make sure the metal lever that closes the choke is behind the rod as shown at top center of the attached photo? If that lever is in front of the the rod the automatic choke will not operate properly.

I didn't remove the carburetor yet, but I can double check and see if it was installed impropertly. Thanks for commenting though.

okibono44

Forum Newbie
Threads
The serial number shows the engine is less that a year old, and it has a 2-year warranty. I'd suggest getting it to a Honda Engine dealer for a full inspection and evaluation. While there are no active Service Bulletins for this engine, the ACRS (Auto Choke Return System) does not seem to be working properly, but can't say for 100% sure.

Anyway, use this link to find an ENGINE dealer in your area, and give them a call. Be sure they contact you for authorization before doing any work. Some dealers will charge a fee to troubleshoot a problem, but will cancel it if the issue is covered under warranty; this policy varies from dealer to dealer, so be sure to discuss before taking the mower in.

[url]http://engines.honda.com/dealer-locator[/URL]

Thank you so much! I called Lowes where it was purchased. The manager said I need to get a "reference number" from Honda authorizing them to dispatch the warranty work. Lowes would not give me the name/number of the authorized Honda dealer that does their warranty work. Seems odd. Do you have any theories as to what this problem is from?

peteco

Threads
Thank you so much! I called Lowes where it was purchased. The manager said I need to get a "reference number" from Honda authorizing them to dispatch the warranty work. Lowes would not give me the name/number of the authorized Honda dealer that does their warranty work. Seems odd. Do you have any theories as to what this problem is from?

The plug is dry, i think there is no fuel coming. Did you check if the bowl is full. Open the fuel valve (in the line) and hit the bowl whit a wood stick. The float must be lockout. Good luck.:thumbsup:

okibono44

Forum Newbie
Threads
The plug is dry, i think there is no fuel coming. Did you check if the bowl is full. Open the fuel valve (in the line) and hit the bowl whit a wood stick. The float must be lockout. Good luck.:thumbsup:

When I took off the bowl, it was full of fuel. Does anyone presume that its a ignition problem?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads

It might help to just talk with Honda's Customer Relations and let them step you through the proper procedure. I'm not familiar with how it works with Lowes. Honda's CR number is 770-497-6400, and have that engine serial number when you call.

The ARCS can be a little tricky to correctly inspect and diagnose. In some cases, small updates to the air cleaner case and cylinder fins and resolve certain types of problems, while other indicate replacement of the ARCS. Best to have an experienced tech take a close look and determine if there is a factory defect or some other reason for the odd behavior.