Live Traps?

Madi

Threads
Has anyone had luck trapping groundhogs in live traps? I walked around my yard yesterday and noticed a pile of holes, I think it is groundhogs, what would you use to lure them into the trap?

RTSB

Threads
You will need to cover the bottom of the wire trap with grass clipping or some straw because they will not walk on the metal wire. Use cut up banana for the bait and keep them fresh. I have used this way many times. Are you sure you don't have Star nose moles. They make mounds of dirt pushed up and tunnel 2-3 feet underground.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Only problem with live traps is that unless you turn them over to animal control, you need to release them somewhere and it then becomes someone elses problem. Most farmers hate them because they can cause broken legs in livestock and broken farm equipment when the holes are run over. :thumbdown:

pollyannasmum

Threads
I'm sure we don't have ground hogs in the UK but we do have holes left by rabbits, squirrels and birds. Maybe it was rabbits!

RTSB

Threads
The person that asked the question lives in Canada, I don't think finding a place to release it at will be much of a problem. I live in Michigan I release them on state land about 5 miles away. I have released many things I have caught, coons, possums 1 skunk and 5 groundhogs.

poncho62

Threads
The person that asked the question lives in Canada, I don't think finding a place to release it at will be much of a problem. I live in Michigan I release them on state land about 5 miles away. I have released many things I have caught, coons, possums 1 skunk and 5 groundhogs.

Yep....Canada is just one big waste land......lol

I'm thinking its probably a mole problem, How big are the holes?...A groundhog hole is quite large, about 6-8" across, while mole holes are maybe 1-2"

Slater

Threads
We have best luck with catching racoons and our cats :confused2: But we have caught some groundhogs before too. Generally though we shoot them before needing to trap them.