Comparison HRR 2168vka /2169vka

TRCTY

Forum Newbie
Threads
What is the diffence between a HRR2168VKA and a2169VKA?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is the diffence between a HRR2168VKA and a2169VKA?

The 8 or 9 before the VKA is called a K-number, and think of it like a version number. The 8 was discontinued and replaced with the 9. The 9 is the most current version of this model.

The 9 has a lot of changes from the 8. The 9 includes:
--Clip Director (flip a lever to change from Mulch <-> Bag)
--MicroCut Blades (better than older QuadaCut blades)
--Improved deck geometry for better mulching
--Different (cosmetic) fan cover
--Lots of engine changes, including updated carburetor, flywheel and flywheel brake, composite timing gear, improved air cleaner case & filter, updated ignition coil and decompressor parts...

magbarn

Threads
The 8 or 9 before the VKA is called a K-number, and think of it like a version number. The 8 was discontinued and replaced with the 9. The 9 is the most current version of this model.

The 9 has a lot of changes from the 8. The 9 includes:
--Clip Director (flip a lever to change from Mulch <-> Bag)
--MicroCut Blades (better than older QuadaCut blades)
--Improved deck geometry for better mulching
--Different (cosmetic) fan cover
--Lots of engine changes, including updated carburetor, flywheel and flywheel brake, composite timing gear, improved air cleaner case & filter, updated ignition coil and decompressor parts...

I've also noticed the EPA emission durability duration went from 125 to 250 hours. Is this from the changes above?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've also noticed the EPA emission durability duration went from 125 to 250 hours. Is this from the changes above?

With all the engine updates, I'd say yes. I don't have any tech documents that call this out specifically, but it is reasonable to expect improvements like emissions durability when the engine is revised.

auttiman

Forum Newbie
Threads
With all the engine updates, I'd say yes. I don't have any tech documents that call this out specifically, but it is reasonable to expect improvements like emissions durability when the engine is revised.

Robert, can I put an updated coil on my hrr2167vka? Since mine runs fine for 10 minutes or so I figure I need to replace the coil so may as well get the updated one...

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert, can I put an updated coil on my hrr2167vka? Since mine runs fine for 10 minutes or so I figure I need to replace the coil so may as well get the updated one...

Not compatible. Different part numbers for the K7 vs. the K9 (supplier change) and each coil is matched to a specific flywheel (also different on K7 vs. K9). If you are not getting spark, it may be a bad plug, bad boot/connector, or damaged wire. Unlikely the coil itself is failing. You may want to inspect it carefully for damage, rust, frays, etc. I'd also check the air gap to the flywheel (should be set to 0.2~.04 mm (0.008~0.020 inch).