Buying Advice Calling all Experts - 2014 Riding Tractor Advice Needed

rock78star

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Calling all Experts - 2014 Riding Tractor Advice Needed
Guys,

So, I am looking to purchase my first ever riding tractor. I have just over a half acre (.56). I am looking at either the Simp Broadmoor 22/44 or the Deere X300. If there is some else I should be considering as well, please let me know. My dilemma is - I go the Simp dealer and Simp is the best and Deere is junk, I go to the Deere dealer vice versa. I just need some non bias straight forward advice. Which available 2014 tractor is going to last me 10, 15, 20 years. I am looking for something with some longevity. I understand that problems can pop with any machine regardless of price point. But which tractor should i be looking at? My budget is around 4K.

Thanks and looking forward to the responses,

Andrew

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you try both tractors out? If not I want to encourage you to do so, steering, handling, mower operation etc. Take your time and do a comparison of tractor specifications online as well as reading reviews, also do a parts price comparison: filters, blades, belts. I would also check online for promotions, incentives, as well as warranty.

ddbtdd

Threads
I've had a couple of old Simplicity's I enjoyed that served their purpose.
My neighbor has an old JD that is still keeps going.
I say either mower will last as long as you want providing you take care of it.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Guys,

So, I am looking to purchase my first ever riding tractor. I have just over a half acre (.56). I am looking at either the Simp Broadmoor 22/44 or the Deere X300. If there is some else I should be considering as well, please let me know. My dilemma is - I go the Simp dealer and Simp is the best and Deere is junk, I go to the Deere dealer vice versa. I just need some non bias straight forward advice. Which available 2014 tractor is going to last me 10, 15, 20 years. I am looking for something with some longevity. I understand that problems can pop with any machine regardless of price point. But which tractor should i be looking at? My budget is around 4K.

Andrew

Even though I'm not a big Briggs & Stratton fan, I would go with the Simplicity. My auto mechanic and his son have Simplicity ZTR's and love them. Good quality for less money(green paint is sooooooo expensive:0)

1striper1

Threads
I am not here because I am no longer a Simp fan, only want to lend my experiences with them.

1. Whatever you buy get POWER STEERING. Best thing since sliced bread.
2. Buy a model with maintainable hydro's. The Broadmoor has sealed hydro's (95% sure) as does the 300 series JD's. Need to get to the Simp Conquest or JD 500 series to get this feature. You want the mower to last 15 years, IMO this is a MUST HAVE.
3. For my money I'll take the Kawasaki engine over the B&S Pro (just a "improved" Intek) anyday and Sunday's.
4. Whatever you buy make sure the dealer will support you after the sale. Listen to what your gut tells you.

For the record I have a 1996 14/38 Broadmoor (keeping) and a 2014 27/52 Prestige (will soon be gone).

jacksdad79

Threads
I have had everything under the sun...JD X520, X360, Z445, and a Simplicity Broadmoor 25/52 with fabricated deck...Though the JD's entry level 0 turns seem to be a little on the cheap side their X series lawn/Garden tractors are very nice...I currently have a Simplicity...I love the stripping feature with the simplicity. Verdict= If you are just going to mow buy the simplicity, if you are going to use it for more such as tilling, plowing, etc... buy the Deere. Also, the X360 would be the only X300 series I would consider...down side to simplicity...they do not make a power steering model in the Broadmoor...All in all i think the price points are about the same...Coming into this time of year you should be able to find good discounts. Why have I had so many different mowers you ask? I am looking for the perfect mower...Im yet to find it...But i think I will hang on to the Simplicity for a year or 2 more...If I had my Pick i would go for the JD X700 series, but I dont wanna spend 10,000-13,000 on a mower...There now that i have confused you even more, ill let you get to it...No matter what you get post some picks and let us know

1striper1

Threads
Guys,

Andrew

So what did you buy?

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
Guys,

Andrew

I'd go with the Simplicity. for your size of lawn, do you really need a JD? I have had better luck with Simplicity than JD. Simplicity's will last for years and years.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why spend $4000 on a mower for just a half acre?
For half that you can get a lawn tractor that will last years.

skupko9680

Forum Newbie
Threads
Why spend $4000 on a mower for just a half acre?
For half that you can get a lawn tractor that will last years.

All I can say is buy one up from what you think you need now. One of the benefits of a tractor is that you can use it as such. Anything<4k and it is a mower nothing more. Sure you can pull a cart with a mower but my k46 tranny on my regent started giving out after 5 years and 220 hours. I decided to get a 27/52 broad moor which will not have the tranny issues I faced and cuts the lawn in almost half the time of my old regent 20/38. I also got proper garden tractor tires, a yard tractor tranny and an 10 gauge fab deck. My yard has never looked so good!

Btw my tranny is not sealed and you do not need power steering. Simple tractors seem to be much easier to turn than others I guess because I have heard this statement before. I have no experience with JD but I am sure they are very much the same and are really the only two tractors left that really compete. Other brands have garden tractors but is you look close you would be surprise at the compromises. BTW there is one of the best tractor dealers I have EVER delt with on College ave in Muskego.