Troy built riding lawnmower won't move.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
something that comes up from time to time. Is somebody will drive their mower into the garage with the speed selector on the 7 speed units in the upper speed positions. they will move the F/R selector to N and then let out the clutch and shut off the engine. They will then restart the mower move the speed selector to 1-3 and put the direction selector in R and the mower will not move because the variable drive pulley is set for 6-7 and will not tension the front belt to turn the pulleys.

In this case you have to move the selector back to the high speed and let out the clutch brake to resync the pulleys in order for it to move. this may be a possible problem on your mower assuming you have then brake/clutch on the left and not the gas pedal on the right.

Great reply.

I had a neighbor that was continually having problems and thought the clutch needed to be depressed to change speeds with the 1-7 speed selector. Once I convinced her that was not the procedure her problem disappeared. She had failed to read the operator's manual but at least she still had it.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

Tol

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2005 Troy Built Bronco, 42 inch cut,Semi Hydrostatic that worked fine. I had replaced all three belts with MTD belts from Lowe's In the spring.. It worked fine all spring, summer and fall, about 7 months, but one day, when I backed out of the garage, it wouldn't move forward when pressing on gas. It wouldn't go backward either. . The belts don't seem to have moved or be in wrong place. What else could it be? Both my sons, grown, both think the transaxle rear end went bad...Would it go bad without warning? Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The F-N-R gear is a simple sliding dog & easy to replace.
Usually when they go it sounds like a a machine gun grating.

However it is usually a stuck variable drive pulley or a spring broken so the belts don't tension properly
Try to push the mower.
If you can push it the brake is fine if you can not push it the brake has jambed.

Mike883

Forum Newbie
Threads
something that comes up from time to time. Is somebody will drive their mower into the garage with the speed selector on the 7 speed units in the upper speed positions. they will move the F/R selector to N and then let out the clutch and shut off the engine. They will then restart the mower move the speed selector to 1-3 and put the direction selector in R and the mower will not move because the variable drive pulley is set for 6-7 and will not tension the front belt to turn the pulleys.

In this case you have to move the selector back to the high speed and let out the clutch brake to resync the pulleys in order for it to move. this may be a possible problem on your mower assuming you have then brake/clutch on the left and not the gas pedal on the right.
Excellent advice. this worked and saved me a trip to the repair shop. Many thanks.
Mike