Troy built riding lawnmower won't move.

knowlz123

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just joined today but hope someone can help. We have a Troy bilt 18.5 horsepower, 42 inch cut riding lawnmower. It just stopped moving on me the other day when I was cutting grass. The engine runs, and the blades engage, but it won't move. We replaced the drive belt and the bearings were worn so we replaced those also. But it still won't move. The belt isn't exactly the same one that was on it, tractor supply did not have an exact one and sold me one they said would work. Could that be the problem? Any ideas on what the problem might be would be a help.
Model # 13AJ689G766
Serial# 1K123H10.388
It is a Troy Bilt Tuffy

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Please post model & serial numbers as well as all numbers from engine.

Troy-Bilt Operator's Manuals & Illustrated Parts Diagrams

I'm posting this information for your tractor, notice you can go to owners manual with parts lists or professional shop service & repair manual, just enter your model & serial numbers.

Last edited:

knowlz123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please post model & serial numbers as well as all numbers from engine.

Model # 13AJ689G766
Serial# 1K123H10.388
It is a Troy Bilt Tuffy

Haven't got the engine information yet. Hope this is a start.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
MTD has a bad habit of not working with non MTD belts. Did you change both belts or just one. Need to replace both at same time. Is the front belt tight when in operating position.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I will also say you need to replace both belts with MTD belts.
You need to replace both at the same time.

The way it is set up you can not use a belt that is longer or shorter.

If you can only find cheap belts go a half inch longer on the front and a half inch shorter on the back.
Will work but will slow down or stop on hills.

d29

Threads
I agree with Ilengine......you need to fit genuine MTD belts as after market have never been successful on these machines.
Also make sure you gave no contamination on the pulleys such as grease/oil.

KelMar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Similiar issue with mine. It was working fine, drove it into the garage, shut it off. Next day I started it, put it into reverse, it won't move in either direction. It's a Pony model is 13AN77KG011. Drive belt appears to be intact although it seems loose, maybe that's by design?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Similiar issue with mine. It was working fine, drove it into the garage, shut it off. Next day I started it, put it into reverse, it won't move in either direction. It's a Pony model is 13AN77KG011. Drive belt appears to be intact although it seems loose, maybe that's by design?

After attempting to get it to move, kill the engine and don't touch the clutch / brake peddle. Feel the 2 motion / drive belts tension and they should be nearly equal tension. If not the variable drive pulley may need attention.

WebsterLawnCare

Forum Newbie
Threads
Replace all of the belts with the MTD factory belts. You can purchase them at your local small engine shop, maybe Lowe's has em??? I have had this problem before, and the other belts that are non-MTD will not work.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads

something that comes up from time to time. Is somebody will drive their mower into the garage with the speed selector on the 7 speed units in the upper speed positions. they will move the F/R selector to N and then let out the clutch and shut off the engine. They will then restart the mower move the speed selector to 1-3 and put the direction selector in R and the mower will not move because the variable drive pulley is set for 6-7 and will not tension the front belt to turn the pulleys.

In this case you have to move the selector back to the high speed and let out the clutch brake to resync the pulleys in order for it to move. this may be a possible problem on your mower assuming you have then brake/clutch on the left and not the gas pedal on the right.