Buying Advice

Harold33

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just finished mowing 3/4 acres with my old trusty Snapper self propelled.
While my 76 year old bod appreciates the cardio work out, I do believe its time to upgrade. Besides, the lawn size is due to increase to 1- 1 1/2 acre.
I'll save the snapper for the swale.
Since most of you suggest staying away from the big box stores, I've located two dealers in my area.
One is a John Deere and one for Husqvarna.
Max I can spend is 3k, give or take.
So far I like and have seen:
JD model X300. Has an 18.5 Kawa motor and a 42" deck.
Weighs in at 616 lbs.
I really like the 4 year warrantee.
The Husky YT48XLG is about the same price. (have not actually seen this one in the flesh)
Has a 23 hp Kawa motor and a 48" deck.
Weighs in at 596 lbs
Has a 3 year warrantee.
On the face of it, Husky seems to be the better buy. Don't know what information I am missing.
Looking for ease of maintenance and longevity. Driving ease will also be good since my daughter will spell with the cutting chores.
Appreciate any help you can give me in making the final choice.
Harry...

Ryan Rognstad

Threads
You have encountered a very difficult decision the X series John Deere is one of the most reliable and well built mowers for the price plus you cannot go wrong with a Kawasaki On the other hand the Husky is also a great machine and very durable. If I were you I would go take a look at the Husky and see how it feels and make the final decision based on the dealer I spend a lot of time at my dealer not with repairs but advice and also repairs although there are few so figure out which dealer you would enjoy to work with if you cant decide on the husky or Deere.

P.S I have had a Deere for 5 years and if I went to buy again I would get the Husky the have great Power Equipment and the Deere is great reliable but I don't love it maybe its just me but good luck with your decision.

Harold33

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many thanks for your impression of the Deere and your advice Ryan.
I'm going to try and get to the Husky dealer next week.
Deere has a big following around here and I would think many happy customers.
Don't see too many Huskys or Cub Cadets.
Harry...

eric102

Threads
I would get the one that's the most comfortable to operate, that was a big factor for me when purchasing my last 2 tractors.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would get the one that's the most comfortable to operate, that was a big factor for me when purchasing my last 2 tractors.

I agree.
In your price range the husky is close to the best.

Comfort is one of the top priorities.

Harold33

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you gentlemen.
I'll keep your suggestions in mind when I go to interview the dealer.:thumbsup:
Harry...

Kwelhand

Threads
How about zero turn mower?
You can get Hustler w/ Kawi engine, fabricated deck for $2800 w/3 yrs warrantee.
I brought one for my father, and now he doesn't touch his Deere anymore.
It saves him quite a bit of time when moving, sits very low and pretty comfortable.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
How about zero turn mower?
You can get Hustler w/ Kawi engine, fabricated deck for $2800 w/3 yrs warrantee.
I brought one for my father, and now he doesn't touch his Deere anymore.
It saves him quite a bit of time when moving, sits very low and pretty comfortable.

You make a good point.....I've never priced them but I would guess that the JD X series cost that much.

ddbtdd

Threads
Don't think anything can be said negative of either tractor, just a matter of preference.
You only mentioned mowing and I know the Husqvarna is considered a garden tractor.
I'm pretty sure you can find a reliable lawn(mowing) tractor for way less than 3K if you only need to cut the grass.
Then again most any larger garden tractor will probably give you a much better ride than a lawn tractor and less jarring than most any homeowner ztr in the 3K price range.
So with those thoughts do you want economy, comfort or speed?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't think anything can be said negative of either tractor, just a matter of preference.
You only mentioned mowing and I know the Husqvarna is considered a garden tractor.
I'm pretty sure you can find a reliable lawn(mowing) tractor for way less than 3K if you only need to cut the grass.
Then again most any larger garden tractor will probably give you a much better ride than a lawn tractor and less jarring than most any homeowner ztr in the 3K price range.
So with those thoughts do you want economy, comfort or speed?

Good advice!!!! Many do not consider the differences between a lawn tractor and a garden tractor, but as you point out there is a significant difference!!