Backpack Blower V.S. Handheld

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The BR 600 and similar Stihl models have a 4 stroke engine that does require mixing oil and gasoline. My BR 600 is 6 years old and still running fine. I also have a Stihl KM 90 Kombi Motor which is also a 4 stroke, for use with a string trimmer, branch trimmer, adjustable angle hedge trimmer, the KM 90 is also 6 years old. Yes, these 4 stroke engines do have adjustable valves. They are much quieter operating than most or all 2 stroke machines and use less fuel, which to me is not a concern.
I use Stihl quality oil and 91 or 93 octane fuel with ethanol, no choice about ethanol here in CT.
I use Star Tron enzyme fuel treatment in all my machines 2 & 4 stroke.
I use ValvTect carbon softening additive in all my 2 stroke and Stihl 4 stroke machines.
For storage, I dump the gasoline out, add a little fresh gas mix, run the engines and dump out the gasoline. The Stihl 4 strokes have a carb with a primer bulb. I reach into the fuel tank, snag the fuel filter and while holding the fuel hose, I remove the fuel filter and pushing the primer bulb, pump all remaining fuel from the carb. Then I install a new fuel filter and store the machine for the winter.
Several reasons I chose a Stihl BR 600, it is the lightest backpack machine with the most amount of airflow. It is quiet running although I always wear hearing protection. It hangs nicely on a hanger in my cargo trailer out of my way when it isn't being used.
It reduced the time I had spent with my 86 to less than half.
I clear the sidewalks, patios, steps, etc at all of my customers places and I clean my machines and trailer interior before I put the machines back into my trailer.
I have a friend that wants to buy my BR 600 having used it several times, I may sell it and go right out and buy a new one!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Alright I have a couple more questions.
According to the fuel usuage calculator on stihls webpage the BG 600 is 2-3 times more fuel efficient as the BG 66, is this true or just "funny" math? If this is true it would pay for itselve very quickly.

All the 600's being sold near me are "hybrid" models, built like a 4 stroke but runs on 2 stroke fuel. Is there any pros or cons to this, I'm very mechanically skilled so minor problems arnt a big deal. I'm guessing the valves will have to be adjusted every year but is there anything else i should be aware of? (Extra adjusting on the carbs, or extra cleaning)

I can afford the extra 300 dollars for the bigger one im just trying to figure out if its actually worth the money or just my pride and ego that want the biggest baddest toy.

The Fuel consumption data was provided by a third party independent laboratory so my guess is it will be accurate. The BR 600 is the new technology, they call it a 4 stroke or cycle engine that runs on a gas oil lubrication, same ratio as the 2 stroke. According to the testing that was done the Br 600 is the most fuel efficient going and depending on your business could have an impact on your bottom line at the end of the year.
If you can afford the BR 600 it's the way to go for sure, I had three other size blowers on the trailer and I've never regretted buying the 600, it was money well spent. As far as pride and ego goes and having the the biggest and baddest toy on the block, it's way over rated. I'm of the opinion that velocity and air volume only go so far and that everything over 200 mph and cfm ratings over 750 cfm isn't usable and is over kill.

13obrienjo

Forum Newbie
Threads
One more question can i tone down the power for when i don't need it? Something along the lines of a replacement end tube thats wider or even drilling holes in the side of a spare tube. Sort of like how you change the tips on a power washer.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
They have a throttle, just slow it down or let it idle.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
The only thing we use stihl is their chainsaws. I switched all our hand held power tools to echo last season and couldn't be happier with them. I have 2 of the echo 550 back blowers. Our back up back pack blower is a huskavarna its way quieter but not nearly as powerful as the echo blowers. Unless something changes with stihl I won't be using them again. Echo is ethanol ready runs as good, more comfortable and way more reliable they drink gas though.

13obrienjo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, the throttle on my echo didn't really do anything to change the power however it didn't have a whole lot of power anyways since it is probably one of the smallest ones they make.
And there is only one echo dalership and a home depot in the area that sell echos and i don't like ether one of them. Plus everything else I own is stihl so i might as well stay consistant. The only reason i bought it is because i really needed it over a weekend and homedepot was the only place open and it was the only blower that they had. There is nothing wrong with it or the echo company and it works great for what it is, its just not for me.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
Dealer support is important I like both the independent dealers one sells stihl and the other echo. They're both quality products I just always had issues with our stihl stuff. A lot of guys use it and love it. Long story short you'll save yourself a ton of time with a backpack blower, and time is money. Ric probably had the best description of the difference with cfm vs air speed.

13obrienjo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys I think im going to go for the 600. Now I just have to find a way to explain to my family and friends that i just spent 500 dollars on a leaf blower with out them trying to do an intervention.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks guys I think im going to go for the 600. Now I just have to find a way to explain to my family and friends that i just spent 500 dollars on a leaf blower with out them trying to do an intervention.

Hey, As they say it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. :laughing: You'll be happy with the 600.

Ryan Rognstad

Threads
The only thing we use stihl is their chainsaws. I switched all our hand held power tools to echo last season and couldn't be happier with them. I have 2 of the echo 550 back blowers. Our back up back pack blower is a huskavarna its way quieter but not nearly as powerful as the echo blowers. Unless something changes with stihl I won't be using them again. Echo is ethanol ready runs as good, more comfortable and way more reliable they drink gas though.

"ECHO is honestly a better company in my opinion easier to work on and reliable VS Sthil where you have to tear half of the unit down just to replace the carb or a fuel line"