Repairs Honda HRR2166VKA with ACS (auto choke system

Bakonman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am attempting to get a Honda HRR2166VKA started for a ladyfriend at work. She was mowing and the thing just stopped and could not be re-started. She asked her friend to help. He purchased a new carburetor, but the one he bought is not the same as the original on the mower. It doesn't appear it is for use with the ACS system.

Here is what I have done:

I decided to rebuild the old carburetor. I took everything apart that would come apart and cleaned everything and blew out all holes with compressed air. (I have done this three times now). I put everything back together and I still will not start.

I have checked the spark. Spark is good, plug is new. Oil is new and gas is fresh.

Carburetor was re-mounted with the chart supplied by Robert@Honda showing the exploded view of the carburetor and Auto Choke system from another posting.

Gaskets look to be in good shape. I did replace one of them that was torn.

Carburetor bowl is getting gas. I undid the bolt at the bottom and gas ran out. Gas switch is 'on'.

Choke remains closed when it is cold. I don't know if it works because I can't get it started. The choke mechanism moves freely.

It will start for about three seconds when I squirt a little gas into the carburetor, then it dies. Since it will start by adding the gas, it appears there is a gas delivery problem or there is an air problem. I have run out of things to try and could use some guidance on what to try next.

The serial number is MZCG 8180796.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
It will start for about three seconds when I squirt a little gas into the carburetor, then it dies. Since it will start by adding the gas, it appears there is a gas delivery problem or there is an air problem. I have run out of things to try and could use some guidance on what to try next.

The serial number is MZCG 8180796.

I'd start by getting making 100% sure all the fuel is drained out and filled with fresh.

Next, let's get a brand-new correct carb on there; list price is only $18.21, Honda Part Number 16100-Z0L-876. Will save a LOT of frustration when trying to clean/refurb an old one.

I'd also inspect and replace any gaskets that look even remotely not prefect. Be sure the two long bolts that hold it all together are snug; even a tiny vacuum leak will result in a "no-start".

Inspect and clean spark plug with a wire brush. Install a new one if it looks bad and be sure to set the gap.

I doubt the valves or other internal engine parts are in need of repair or adjustment. 99% sure you are right about not getting right amount of fuel/air...

Google any part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area: Find A Honda Dealer