Engine New HRR216 VKA oil dripping out of air cleaner

sjansky

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just got my new HRR216VKA delivered, no one was here when dropped off. Added oil and gas and mower started on first pull - I ran it for about minute and shut it down. Started reading owner's manual and went out to get frame and engine number numbers for registration. I could not find engine number so started looking around and pulled the air cleaner cover off and the filter was wet with oil and when I pulled it out oil drained out, maybe an ounce or so. The air filter interior surface is about a third wet from oil. What would have caused this and should I use it like this ? If FedEx guy tilted mower when delivering it would there enough oil in engine to cause this? The engine had a small puff of white smoke then cleared when I started it.

Also want to get engine number but can't find it, just casting that says Honda 160CC and a small rectangle bar code sticker on engine on the side opposite side from carb.

Would like to change carb jet as I live at 5800 ft, anyone have then next jet leaner?

HondaPower

Threads
did u tip the mower over at all after u put the oil in?

that would cause your problem

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
The air filter interior surface is about a third wet from oil. What would have caused this and should I use it like this ? If FedEx guy tilted mower when delivering it would there enough oil in engine to cause this? The engine had a small puff of white smoke then cleared when I started it.

Also want to get engine number but can't find it, just casting that says Honda 160CC and a small rectangle bar code sticker on engine on the side opposite side from carb.

Would like to change carb jet as I live at 5800 ft, anyone have then next jet leaner?

Oil & Air Filter:

Each Honda mower is filled with oil at the factory, test run for a few seconds, then the oil is extracted from the engine. However, a trace amount may be left in the crankcase, so if the mower was tipped over on its left side or turned upside down, that small bit of oil could have flowed into the air cleaner and then soaked up by the paper filter. This can also happen if TOO much oil is added to the engine. If you filled the engine with the small bottle of oil included in the box, there is no risk of overfill. Double check and make sure the level is between the hash mark at the tip of the dipstick, and not filled too high. See your owner's manual for details on how to properly check/add oil. Use only SAE 10W-30 oil with this mower. Even a partially-soaked air filter can restrict air flow to the point of creating an incorrect air/fuel mixture, causing poor running and/or starting performance. A new filter is pretty cheap and I'd go ahead and get a couple and, of course, trash the soaked one. You need Honda Part Number 17211-Z8B-901, list $3.90. Google any part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area: Find A Honda Dealer

Frame Serial Number, Registration and +1 Year Warranty Offer
Look on the back upper area of the mower deck for the serial number sticker; it looks like this:
lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

Fill out and mail in the registration card, be sure to date it before May 31, 2014, and you will automatically get +1 year of extra factory warranty. You MUST register to mower (mail in or use this link Register Your New Honda Online to get the extra year of warranty.

Re-jet for High Altitude
Honda suggest switching out the main jet if running the engine above 5,000 feet. As you are right there, it may or may not significantly affect the performance of your mower. Might try it with the stock jet for a while, but if you feel the power is reduced or have other concerns, swapping out the main jet might be the way to go. While this is not a difficult job, if you've never worked on a carburetor before, probably best to have the dealer do the job. To R&R (remove and replace) the jet requires removing the carburetor, and a large number of gaskets, spacers, guides, rods and springs. Not for the mechanically faint-of-heart. I need the frame serial number to get you the correct jet part number, as the were a number of different carburetors and jets used during the production of the VKA model.

sjansky

Forum Newbie
Threads

Oil & Air Filter:

Each Honda mower is filled with oil at the factory, test run for a few seconds, then the oil is extracted from the engine. However, a trace amount may be left in the crankcase, so if the mower was tipped over on its left side or turned upside down, that small bit of oil could have flowed into the air cleaner and then soaked up by the paper filter. This can also happen if TOO much oil is added to the engine. If you filled the engine with the small bottle of oil included in the box, there is no risk of overfill. Double check and make sure the level is between the hash mark at the tip of the dipstick, and not filled too high. See your owner's manual for details on how to properly check/add oil. Use only SAE 10W-30 oil with this mower. Even a partially-soaked air filter can restrict air flow to the point of creating an incorrect air/fuel mixture, causing poor running and/or starting performance. A new filter is pretty cheap and I'd go ahead and get a couple and, of course, trash the soaked one. You need Honda Part Number 17211-Z8B-901, list $3.90. Google any part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area: Find A Honda Dealer

Frame Serial Number, Registration and +1 Year Warranty Offer
Look on the back upper area of the mower deck for the serial number sticker; it looks like this:
lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

Fill out and mail in the registration card, be sure to date it before May 31, 2014, and you will automatically get +1 year of extra factory warranty. You MUST register to mower (mail in or use this link Register Your New Honda Online to get the extra year of warranty.

Re-jet for High Altitude
Honda suggest switching out the main jet if running the engine above 5,000 feet. As you are right there, it may or may not significantly affect the performance of your mower. Might try it with the stock jet for a while, but if you feel the power is reduced or have other concerns, swapping out the main jet might be the way to go. While this is not a difficult job, if you've never worked on a carburetor before, probably best to have the dealer do the job. To R&R (remove and replace) the jet requires removing the carburetor, and a large number of gaskets, spacers, guides, rods and springs. Not for the mechanically faint-of-heart. I need the frame serial number to get you the correct jet part number, as the were a number of different carburetors and jets used during the production of the VKA model.

My suspicion is that the FedEx driver at some point tipped the box on it's side to cause the issue. I added just the bottle of oil that came in box and the dip stick shows just at the top end of the hash area. When pulling mower out of box had help and lifting straight up no tipping.

I did the online registration and bought the mower on 05/24 from MaxTool online so should be eligible for the extra year.

I have changed the jet on a Honda EU2000 and my Suzuki DR 250 and watched some of the you tube videos and seen your graphics on the carb for this engine, so I think I can perform the jet change. From what I can tell the standard jet is a 65, just need to know what is recommended jet for 5800 ft. The frame number is MZCG-9141276. Still having problem finding engine number - do I have to take off the gas tank recoil cover to see the number?

Thanks for your help.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
From what I can tell the standard jet is a 65, just need to know what is recommended jet for 5800 ft. The frame number is MZCG-9141276. Still having problem finding engine number - do I have to take off the gas tank recoil cover to see the number?

Thanks for your help.

Your VKA is a what Honda internally calls a K9 (the newest version) model. For the K9, the standard jet is a #60, which is good for 0-5,000 feet. For 5,800 feet, move to one size smaller, which is a #58. You want Honda Part Number 99101-124-0580, about $7.58 list from any Honda dealer. Google the part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area: Find A Honda Dealer

Generally, you can get all parts and service details with just the mower's frame serial number. The engine serial number is laser-etched into the side of the block, on the oil filler/dipstick (right) side. It can be hard to read under the recoil/fan cover, so use a flashlight. It will be in the form of GXXXX-1234567.

Again, before going to the trouble of replacing the jet, you may just try running with the stock jet, and see how the engine performs. Oxygen is less dense as you go higher up, and to keep the correct air/fuel ratio necessary for a smooth running engine, you generally need to reduce the jet size with increases in altitude. The is because the volume of the air can't be changed, but we can change the amount of fuel via the jet size. With less oxygen, we need slightly less fuel. If the engine runs a bit rough or stutters, especially at full speed, you may want to try the smaller jet. Otherwise, if the engine sounds smooth and even, it's probably getting a good fuel/air mixture and you should be good to go. Accept the fact that with less oxygen (and less fuel) there will be some power loss as the elevation goes up...just a fact of physics, sorry. :tongue:

Finally, FYI on Honda jet sizes: A "#60" jet = hole diameter of 0.6 mm, a "#58" = 0.58 mm, etc.