Older sprayer used for Roundup

pigdoc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got an ATV sprayer that I used a few years ago (7+) for round-up'ing the fence lines at my horse farm. Now the horse farm is sold, and I need a sprayer to apply herbicide to my 1.5 acre lawn. Can I use the old sprayer that was used for Roundup? Is there a way to clean the Roundup residue out? Or, do I need to get a new sprayer? thanks in advance.
Pigdoc

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
pigdoc, I have a backpack sprayer with a manual hand pump. It worked 10 years and then needed a new set of piston seals. Sounds like yours may be electric? Anyway , other things equal, why not try to use it. Are you worried about roundup residue? My instruction manual said at season shutdown to use a mild detergent followed by 3 fresh water changeouts which has kept it unclogged.

possum

Threads
Every single person I know myself included use a separate sprayer for Roundup. None of us myself included have any reason to believe it to be harmful to use the same one if washed out good. But once again all of us think we should not because what someone told us long ago about an incident that more than likely never happened the way it was told. You will have to use your own judgement. Please do let us know the results.

LoCo86

Threads
Every single person I know myself included use a separate sprayer for Roundup. None of us myself included have any reason to believe it to be harmful to use the same one if washed out good. But once again all of us think we should not because what someone told us long ago about an incident that more than likely never happened the way it was told. You will have to use your own judgement. Please do let us know the results.

I've used a herbicide before and washed the tank and lines out with water and dish soap a couple of times then used the same sprayer to apply non select herbicide with good results.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Farmers use their sprayers for numerous different chemicals all of the time. What most I know of do is add liquid ammonia to water and rinse the tank. It always works.

Nwatson99

Threads
mix up 5 gallon water with 1 qt ammonia, 4 ounces of tide detergent, and 4 table spoons of baking soda.

Wash it, spray through the hose and wand, rinse it, and you are good to go.