Walk behind JD JX75 Wheel Replacement Bolts break constantly

kblehman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've owned a John Deere JX75 self-propelled walk-behind for 15+ years and I have very few complaints. It has been a very dependable mower.

The rear wheel axle bolts lasted over 10 years, but one of them finally broke a few years ago. No problem, I went to my local John Deere dealer and bought replacement. The next summer the other original rear wheel bolt broke, so I replaced that one as well. A few weeks later the first replacement bolt broke. Ever since then I've been replacing the replacement wheel bolts on a regular basis. Like clockwork, at least once per summer, one of the rear wheel bolts breaks and I have to buy another. It happens so often that I buy at least 2 each time I visit the dealer.

My wife just texted me and said that the bolt I replaced last summer broke this morning. Ridiculous. The replacement bolts are obviously not as strong as the originals. It's very aggravating, as these replacement bolts don't seem to last more than a year. (The dealer rep confirmed that the replacement bolts are tempered/rated for extra strength but I don't buy it.)

Has anyone else experienced the replacement wheel bolts breaking constantly?

Since these are supposedly John Deere replacement parts, what are my options? Can I purchase the same type of bolt that is stronger than the JD bolt? If so, where can I find something like that?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Nwatson99

Threads
Take the new bolt to Fastenal or other large fastener company local to you and purchase a duplicate one in Grade 8.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree a better grade bolt can be had. Has something else changed such as bumpy yard? Treatment of machine?

Could you be over tightening them?

davev1pa

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've owned a John Deere JX75 self-propelled walk-behind for 15+ years and I have very few complaints. It has been a very dependable.

The rear wheel axle bolts lasted over 10 years, but one of them finally broke a few years ago. No problem, I went to my local John Deere dealer and bought replacement. The next summer the other original rear wheel bolt broke, so I replaced that one as well. A few weeks later the first replacement bolt broke. Ever since then I've been replacing the replacement wheel bolts on a regular basis. Like clockwork, at least once per summer, one of the rear wheel bolts breaks and I have to buy another. It happens so often that I buy at least 2 each time I visit the dealer.

My wife just texted me and said that the bolt I replaced last summer broke this morning. Ridiculous. The replacement bolts are obviously not as strong as the originals. It's very aggravating, as these replacement bolts don't seem to last more than a year. (The dealer rep confirmed that the replacement bolts are tempered/rated for extra strength but I don't buy it.)

Has anyone else experienced the replacement wheel bolts breaking constantly?

Since these are supposedly John Deere replacement parts, what are my options? Can I purchase the same type of bolt that is stronger than the JD bolt? If so, where can I find something like that?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Well mine are busting constantly as well........which is why i signed up....Dave

Nwatson99

Threads
Well mine are busting constantly as well........which is why i signed up....Dave

Hey Dave same advice, take your bolt and get the exact same bolt in a Grade 8.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
So much for John Deere specs..! my advice would be to send them a e-mail and let them know how disappointed you are.

dell835

Forum Newbie
Threads
Has anybody come up with a solution to the JX75 wheel bolts breaking ? Exact same thing here - Original bolts lasted 10 years or more now I go through a couple ever summer. Same yard & same person mowing. Just the rear bolts break. They are an odd sized bolt. The guy at Fastenal said he didn't have anything with that shoulder / thread & size listed anywhere. Have to call my machinist buddy I reckon.

redmondjp

Threads
I'm wondering if there is something else going on here that is the root cause of the bolt failures. Like some other worn part(s) that are side-loading the wheel bolt which is causing it to fail. I have seen this happen on other pieces of equipment.

How worn are your drive axle bushings? Have you ever checked or greased those?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
post pictures of both halves of the broken bolts and the head markings if any