Repairs Honda HR194 clutch (blades)

AndyC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I have been given a 194 mower which starts, runs , cuts but the problem is the blades are permanently engaged. On my old one the blades only used to engage when the black lever on the handlebar was operated, this one the blades are spinning all the time. the cable is fine, the lever down the bottom the cable operates is working OK. I have pulled the clutch that engages the blades off and there is nothing broken inside there. 2 questions, 1: is there a technique to putting he clutch back on ? It's a huge spring in there and I'm not sure if when I tighten the bolt that goes into the crankshaft I'm pulling the spring up or the release bearing is not pulling up properly on the crankshaft. 2: Any idea's why the blades will not disengage ?

Many thanks,
Andy

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi,

I have been given a 194 mower which starts, runs , cuts but the problem is the blades are permanently engaged. On my old one the blades only used to engage when the black lever on the handlebar was operated, this one the blades are spinning all the time. the cable is fine, the lever down the bottom the cable operates is working OK. I have pulled the clutch that engages the blades off and there is nothing broken inside there. 2 questions, 1: is there a technique to putting he clutch back on ? It's a huge spring in there and I'm not sure if when I tighten the bolt that goes into the crankshaft I'm pulling the spring up or the release bearing is not pulling up properly on the crankshaft. 2: Any idea's why the blades will not disengage ?

Many thanks,
Andy

I see you are in the UK; is this a UK model, a USA model, or ??? On the back of the mower deck should be a serial number, usually in the form of "MXXX-1234567" that will help me nail down which exact mower you have; here's a photo of a USA-spec HR194:

HR194_zps29f814cc.jpg

Here's a sample shop manual page for a USA spec HR194's Roto-Stop; this model had an "A" version of Roto-Stop and a "B" version. "A" versions were simpler, and "B" versions have more springs...

hr194roto-stop_Page_1_zpsc4b4c014.jpg

hr194roto-stop_Page_2_zpsbf6516e6.jpg

AndyC

Forum Newbie
Threads
I see you are in the UK; is this a UK model, a USA model, or ??? On the back of the mower deck should be a serial number, usually in the form of "MXXX-1234567" that will help me nail down which exact mower you have; here's a photo of a USA-spec HR194:

HR194_zps29f814cc.jpg

Here's a sample shop manual page for a USA spec HR194's Roto-Stop; this model had an "A" version of Roto-Stop and a "B" version. "A" versions were simpler, and "B" versions have more springs...

hr194roto-stop_Page_1_zpsc4b4c014.jpg

hr194roto-stop_Page_2_zpsbf6516e6.jpg

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply, yes my HR194 is just like the one shown in the picture, I have searched for a plate with a serial number but cannot find one on either my old or new mower though I notice stamped on the crankcase is 'GXV120' which I assume is the engine type. there is a label stating they were both made in France. the blade / clutch arrangement I have is that shown against the 'A' version in the attached diagrams. I do 'kind of' have it assembled but I found it very hard getting the bolt started in the thread inside the crank whilst at the same time trying to compress that huge coil spring. When tightening it it did not pull up nice and square on the crank and I was not sure whether this was because I was not properly seated on the crank or because of the pressure being exerted by the coil spring so I have not pulled the bolt up too tight at present. I am confident the woodruff key is seated properly and I am sitting on that OK.

Regards,
Andy