How Low To Cut The Grass

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like to cut my grass as low as I possibly can because then I don't have to cut again so soon. I have never been a fan of cutting grass so I like to do anything I can in order to not have to cut that much.

I see a lot of people who say that. We have several customers also that won't hear it any other way. Truth of the matter is though you can cut it at about three inches or more and you won't have to cut it any more often and it will look better in the long run. We cut a lot of yards at 2" because the customer won't hear it any other way. What they are doing is killing the beneficial grasses which normally around here is Centipede and allowing the Bahia grass to thrive. It s counter productive.

I have a customer that he and I had this discussion a while back and he finally agree to allow me to cutting at three inches. Within 4 weeks his yard looks incredibly better.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ha ha I know people that will not cut there grass until April 1st because that is when grass cutting season starts. It will be a foot tall and they will tell you they never cut the grass early

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Threads
If you want a proper growth of your grass then cut it few days before the rainy season, make sure that after cutting it should be atleast 1/2'' in height, because it take almost equal duration to get rid and get perfect green grassy grass, growth of grass depends on weather more than cutting size.

Threads
If you want a proper growth of your grass then cut it few days before the rainy season, make sure that after cutting it should be atleast 1/2'' in height, because it take almost equal duration to get rid and get perfect green grassy grass, growth of grass depends on weather more than cutting size.

As you can see it varies around the world. Here, if you cut the grass at 1/2" (except golf courses), there would be nothing left but dirt! :eek:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most grasses have a range of recommended mowing heights and you should stay at the upper end of that range in hot weather, drought or even wet conditions. In cooler weather, you can cut your grass a little lower. Basically never removing more than one-third of the grass blade in any one mowing is the best way to cut your lawn, that way you never stress the grass or root system and you'll end up with the best looking lawn possible.

Threads
Most grasses have a range of recommended mowing heights and you should stay at the upper end of that range in hot weather, drought or even wet conditions. In cooler weather, you can cut your grass a little lower. Basically never removing more than one-third of the grass blade in any one mowing is the best way to cut your lawn, that way you never stress the grass or root system and you'll end up with the best looking lawn possible.

Yep. For example in the summer I was cutting the grass fairly high, but there are some people that want it cut short, and when I did, it looked bad and scalped. But this fall I cut the grass fairly low and then a week or so ago I cut it for the last time, low again. It didn't look low at all, because I only cut maybe an inch off. It looked good...not like this (this is not my work).

bigscalping0001.jpg

jakewells

Threads
i mow at 4.0 inches and mulch it the grass is a mixture of tall fescue and blue grass. i use 19-19-19 fertilizer every spring along with new seed and lime. i love a thick dark green lawn

Threads
I do 3" through the season, and 3.5" in the fall or winter.

OldSalt

Threads
I put my mower on the highest setting I can (about 4" )and keep my lawn at that height all summer. I have St Augustine so the higher it is, the thicker it gets, and the healthier it stays.

Bob E

Threads
I mow 3-4". I think taller grass looks better, it's definitely healthier and greener anyway, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on this. It seems like every neighbor I've ever lived next to is only limited by how low their decks can cut, and it never takes them very long to figure out they can take a few swipes across the property line and make their patch of yellow grass look bigger. :thumbdown: