isolator block with choke controls

kate maine

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have taken the carburetor of my Honda HRR2168VKA serial # MZCG-8583097 apart and have it all clean and ready to put back on the mower.

Questions:

The isolator block with attached choke controls.

1. On mine, the slivery metel piece on top, which is on a hinge with two springs does not snap back into a relaxed position after I turn it so the springs are streched. I need to manually move it back. Is this the way it should be or is it sticking open and need something done to fix it?

2. When lining up all the parts....carb, isolator gasket, isolator block with attached choke controls....does the metel piece, with the springs, on top of the isolator block need to fit into the parts on top of the carburetor in a certain way or does it sort of float above the choke parts?

Thank you,

Kate

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi, I have taken the carburetor of my Honda HRR2168VKA serial # MZCG-8583097 apart and have it all clean and ready to put back on the mower.

It sounds like you have a sticking auto-choke control assembly. The silver arm (shown here in yellow) should move freely and not bind; we discussed this in another thread, and recall that Honda has just issued a Service Bulletin for this problem, and your mower's serial number is indeed in the affected range of mowers.

auto-choke_zps266fd425.jpg

Ideally, you should have a Honda dealer inspect and confirm the choke control assembly needs replacement, as it will likely be covered under warranty. Double-check with the dealer before authorizing any repairs.

If you want to DIY, you may want to replace the auto-choke control assembly; it is a good idea to also replace the thermowax cylinder at the same time, even if it is not showing any symptoms. Replacing the thermowax is a bit involved, and best done by a trained Honda tech.

Here's how all the rest of the parts go back together:

k8carb_zps73a7eafb.jpg

kate maine

Forum Newbie
Threads
It sounds like you have a sticking auto-choke control assembly. The silver arm (shown here in yellow) should move freely and not bind; we discussed this in another thread, and recall that Honda has just issued a Service Bulletin for this problem, and your mower's serial number is indeed in the affected range of mowers.

auto-choke_zps266fd425.jpg

Ideally, you should have a Honda dealer inspect and confirm the choke control assembly needs replacement, as it will likely be covered under warranty. Double-check with the dealer before authorizing any repairs.

If you want to DIY, you may want to replace the auto-choke control assembly; it is a good idea to also replace the thermowax cylinder at the same time, even if it is not showing any symptoms. Replacing the thermowax is a bit involved, and best done by a trained Honda tech.

Here's how all the rest of the parts go back together:

k8carb_zps73a7eafb.jpg

Hi Robert,

I had a feeling that silver part was the part you told me about. Well, I wanted to make sure the carb and all were all clean and fine so that the dealer would not need to charge me for that. And, I did manage to get it all back together and even did get it started....although it is obvious that the auto choke is not as it should be because it took forever to start it and I was all worn out before even starting to mow! But did anyways....before the big rains arrived! I feel quite proud of myself and now know a lot more about carburators.

I will be contacting the dealer in the morning and get this thing back in good shape before the grass gets a foot tall!

Thanks you so much for all of your help!

Kate