Oil change HRX217VKA ??

charley95

Threads
Just changed the break-in oil after the first recommended 5 hrs. The oil had a metallic look to it which I would assume is normal? I'm using Mobil-1 10/30,What are peoples thoughts here on using synthetic oil. This mower is like a Cadillac compared to my 8 yr. old Toro Super recycler. All of the Honda features out perform the Toro on every aspect. Great mower the more I use it the more I like it!

Kev4Bama

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just changed my oil after the break in period as well and I noticed some metal specs In the oil pan also. Must be a part of the break in process? Please check my post a few down and see if you have had any of the issues I have noticed!

Kev4Bama

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also I used the honda motor oil from Home Depot it is already pre measured and I figure while under warranty they can't blame anything on that. I have used synthetic in my mowers before with no problems

braxx

Forum Newbie
Threads
For what ever it's worth here is my experience. I bought my HRX217 new last year and changed the oil after about 5hrs and it too had metal particles. So I ran another round of oil in it for only a few more hours to act as a "flush" when I drained it there was VERY VERY small amount of metallic again but not enough to concern me. I then changed to Mobile 1 synthetic oil and left it in for the rest of the year which was about 20hrs. I changed the oil at the end of the year and it was very clean an no metallic particles. I doubt that the synthetic stopped the particles. I think they were flushed away with the first 2 oil changes but I do believe in synthetic oil for not breaking down and maintaining its premium lubricating properties in air cooled engines due to the higher heat and lower oil capacities.