New HRX217VKA Occasionally backfiring on startup

Kev4Bama

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased an HRX217VKA about a month ago replacing a Toro Recycler Personal Pace Mower. It has always started on the first pull everytime. I have noticed two issues that concern me. 1. The very first pull out of the box the mower backfired as it came to life, there was no hesitation in the mower starting just a clean hollow backfire out of the muffler. Since that time when starting the mower it will randomly for no apparent reason backfire. It has done it about 4 to 5 times in about 6 weeks of use. I tried putting a brand new Honda Spark Plug in but the backfire has continued to randomly happen. I use non ethanol 87 octane fuel which I have gotten a fresh batch with the same thing. The mower runs fine and always fires with zero hesitation, it is just sometimes in the process of pulling the cord it lets out a loud clean sounding backfire. It will usually only happen once in a mowing session never twice.

The other issue I have noticed is that when starting the mower the starter recoil does not always cleanly want to rewind itsself without sometimes having a slight hitch or requiring a slight pull and then it will go right in. Most of the time in rewinds with no issue but every 2nd or third time it is pulled it seems to have the hitch.

I have also noticed that when the mower comes to life it will produce one small puff of black smoke but only on startup.

I asked my local service dealer about these issues and they basically told me not to worry about it since it seems to run fine and is an intermittent issue. Does anyone have any similar issues or suggestions?

I can say being very picky about my lawn that this mower provides a beautiful cut by far the best of any mower I have owned. I have the height set to "2" and it seems just right. I have already done the initial 5hr oil change and as stated above tried a new plug.

Kev4Bama

Forum Newbie
Threads
I knew I was probably the only one having these issues lol.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Backfiring is not normal; should not happen, even just now and then.

Suggest you give Honda Customer Relations a call, and find a dealer who can properly diagnose and repair the mower for both the backfire and recoil retract issues. A new mower should not have either of these problems, and if they are determined to be factory defects, warranty should cover the needed repairs. Have the serial number off the back of the mower when you call, along with the name of the dealer you contacted.

American Honda Customer Relations
4900 Marconi Dr.
Alpharetta, GA 30005-8847

Tel: 770-497-6400
Fax: 678-339-2519
Mon. - Fri. 8:30 - 7:00 EST

Kev4Bama

Forum Newbie
Threads
Backfiring is not normal; should not happen, even just now and then.

Suggest you give Honda Customer Relations a call, and find a dealer who can properly diagnose and repair the mower for both the backfire and recoil retract issues. A new mower should not have either of these problems, and if they are determined to be factory defects, warranty should cover the needed repairs. Have the serial number off the back of the mower when you call, along with the name of the dealer you contacted.

American Honda Customer Relations
4900 Marconi Dr.
Alpharetta, GA 30005-8847

Tel: 770-497-6400
Fax: 678-339-2519
Mon. - Fri. 8:30 - 7:00 EST

Thanks Robert!

It is very weird as it has persisted to be very random. Frustrating because it always cranks on the first pull even when the problem arises and once started runs great. The recoil issue has improved slightly but still randomly occurs.

civic

Threads
Thanks Robert!

It is very weird as it has persisted to be very random. Frustrating because it always cranks on the first pull even when the problem arises and once started runs great. The recoil issue has improved slightly but still randomly occurs.

Did you ever get this repaired if so what was the issue. Mine is doing the same thing.