Just got an older Snapper with a Briggs & Stratton engine - need some help

dedou

Threads
  • / Just got an older Snapper with a Briggs & Stratton engine - need some help
Could anyone please tell me where I could find a manual or online help with:
Draining the oil and cleaning out the oil tank
Doing the same for the gas tank
and checking the overall engine parts for safety/wear

on an older Briggs & Stratton engine on a Snapper push mower. The engine says the model is: 92802 the type: 3271-01 and the code: 860916

Thanks for any and all help from a total newbie.

AnthemBassMan

Threads
My Mother-in-law has the basically same mower, but without the self propel. Turn it on its side with the carb facing up. Look a couple inches around the crankshaft where it comes out of the bottom of the engine. You should see a square notch that is 3/8" square. That is the drain plug. Use a standard 3/8" ratchet with a short extension. The end of the extension will fit in the square notch. Take it out, turning counter clockwise, then tilt the mower back over a drain pan. I always start the mower and let it warm up for a few minutes before changing the oil. Put the drain plug back k in and tighten it, but don't crank too hard on it. Turn the mower back on all four wheels, and fill it with 18 to 20 oz of HD30 motor oil. Do NOT get non detergent oil. Also do not overfill the oil.

For the gas tank, you can look inside to see if there is a bunch of crud in it. If it looks fairly clean, you can pour a little bit of fresh gas in it, shake the mower good, then tilt it to drain the crud out. If it's really loaded with crud, then you'll have to remove the tank to flush it out. Take a good pic of the top of the carb once you remove the air filter so you can be sure to put the governor spring and linkage back on correctly. You can pick up a new air filter for a few bucks. With the new filter, pour a little clean motor oil on it, then squeeze the oil throughout the filter. Then roll the filter up in a few paper towels to get the excess oil out of it.

You should pick up a new spark plug. The stock plug is a Champion RJ19LM. But I personally prefer NGK plugs over the Champion. The NGK is a B2LM. Gap the plug at .030". You may need a new blade, so either check the deck for the cutting width, or measure the blade that's on it diagonally from one tip to the other. If the mower starts OK right now, then basic maintenance should keep it going.

L8R,
Matt

dedou

Threads
Thank you!!!!!:smile: