1/2 acre - worth purchasing a ZT?

RetiredGuns

Threads
Been mowing a 1/2 acre with a Cub Cadet LT1042 for the last 10 years and sometimes wish I had a different mower. Neighbor is in the grass business and brings a different ZT home all the time. I see him effortlessly completing his lawn much quicker. To be fair, the CC has not cost me one penny in repairs and it has mulched some seriously thick grass year after year, but like many, I like nice things when I can get them.
The search for an affordable ZT can be maddening as just when you think the right machine is at your fingertips, someone calls it a piece of junk. I (thought) something like the Hustler Raptor 42" would be nice, but then it has no standard hour meter, weaker tranny, 3 point deck, etc.. Do I really need a Fastrak SD for a 1/2 flat lawn? Maybe not, but it sure looks nice in comparison.
Then there are the box store mowers with stamped decks. Well my CC has a stamped deck and it's been going for 10 years. Too many mowers!

just want a mower that won't bog down on a lush lawn, will last a good while and give me few if any headaches.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
but like many, I like nice things when I can get them.

I guess that is saying it all. I like my Ferris pro 61. Might be a little on the pricy side but should be the last mower you ever buy if cared for.

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
My short answer is NO,however maybe you enjoy mowing.My neighbor cuts 3 acres and just got a cub Zero with a traditional steering wheel.It has the same engine my Rapor SD has,a kawasaki.He really likes it because he has never liked the dual handle mechanism.There is definitely a learning curve if you haven't learned,my son sees it akin to driving a tank (the track system).Have you tried any Zeros?,you should demo before buying anything.

RetiredGuns

Threads
I've gotten pretty good around obstacles since the Cub mows in reverse, but still have them huge swings in the wide open areas. If I am honest with myself a nice ZT is surely a want and not a need. My official justification is that the Cub is 10 years old and won't take me to retirement. That may not be true either, but I can get that by the Wife!

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
I'm interested in the wife factor.Actually I almost mentioned it in my first post.I'm a periodic poster on the Audio Karma forum,they make a big deal about WAF in regards to audio they bring home.The "wife acceptance factor" is powerful mojo in most things.:wink: I live in the country where most women end up mowing....have have yet to fully analyze this phenomena.

RetiredGuns

Threads
On some forums it is SWMBO. I have a couple hobbies that are pretty expensive and I try to be considerate of funds, but a lawnmower equates to work & not leisure. I'm pushing it though with a mower north of 3k.