Will only run with the choke on all the way.

Kcsguide

Threads
Ok, I'm stumped. I picked up a Craftsman GTV 16 garden tractor with a Briggs engine (model 402417) to restore. I believe it's an 81 based on the code. The previous owner told me that it would not run unless the choke was fully open. I overhauled the carb and it was nasty (I can't believe it could even run like that) but I cleaned and inspected it properly and reset the jets to the proper baseline setting. Installed it and it did just what he said, it runs real good with the choke on all the way but start to reduce the choke at all and it just flat dies. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you are 100% sure about the cleaning of the carb, then check the seal's (gaskets) between carb and engine. working on full choke, its having too much air/fuel mixture.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you cleaned the carb, if you did not replace the float needle and pump diaphragm, that would probably be your problem.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
In his own words..."I overhauled the carb" so surely he did...but then...!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Then the float level may be set too low. I never know what overhaul or cleaned on this forum means.

Kcsguide

Threads
I should have specified that I normally would replace all of the gaskets, FP diaphram, needle and seat, o-ring, etc, however as filthy as the carb was, all of the gaskets, etc. looked like they had just been put in. I can't imagine how someone could install those without cleaning the carb but he must have done so. The needle and seat did not look new but I looked it over with a magnifying glass and it still looked perfect. I will go back in and replace all of those just to be sure. Thanks

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am assuming that it has normal hi/lo mixture screws, and not a shutoff solenoid. What happens if you richen up the mixture
settings, does this make it better? Say start at an extra 1/2 turn ccw on each screw? Move that way in 1/2 turn increments
and detail any changes you observe.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The part of working on these that usually gets put back together wrong is the fuel pump.

Kcsguide

Threads
I'll try adjusting the mixture screws first before I pull the carb again. Thanks

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll try adjusting the mixture screws first before I pull the carb again. Thanks

Did you not preset the mix/screws after the overhauling of the carburetor..?