HRC216 - Air Cleaner Elbow Removal - Bow do I remove it?

bigbavarian

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / HRC216 - Air Cleaner Elbow Removal - Bow do I remove it?
Hello everyone,

I have a Honda HRC216 that has the top with the integrated gas tank. It appears that you have to remove the bolts from the schroud and a bolt that is connects the top to a black air cleaner elbow. But the nut to the elbow in encased in plastic and when you turn the bolt, the nut just keeps turning in the plastic. How am I supposed to get this nut off? I cannot get a wrench around it.

Here is the part on ebay

Sorry, that's not working right now

Please help

Stephen

Attachments

• elbow nut.jpg
    elbow nut.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 15

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello everyone,

I have a Honda HRC216 that has the top with the integrated gas tank. It appears that you have to remove the bolts from the schroud and a bolt that is connects the top to a black air cleaner elbow. But the nut to the elbow in encased in plastic and when you turn the bolt, the nut just keeps turning in the plastic. How am I supposed to get this nut off? I cannot get a wrench around it.

Here is the part on ebay

Sorry, that's not working right now

Please help

Stephen

How about wedging a small flat-tip screwdriver against the side of the nut? Or maybe an awl or other tapered-tip tool, as long as you don't get too rough and snap/break the elbow with excessive force.

freeloader700

Threads
I agree with Robert. What about also pushing the bolt back a bit to try and help the nut get out of the plastic? If that doesn't work then I would use a flat head to keep it from spinning. Is it still installed on the motor? If so remove the tube from the carb that way you will have better access.

bigbavarian

Forum Newbie
Threads
Both good suggestion. Unfortunately I had tried a small screwdriver wedged in there, thin pliers, and vice grips.

You cannot get the schroud off without taking that nut off. It appears the way the top is configured prevents you from doing it.

I am usually very creative but this one is really driving me crazy.

freeloader700

Threads
Do you have any other pictures of the dilemma? What about a small bead of hot glue to temporarily hold it in place?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Jewelery plyers needle nose vice grips :/ patience and trial and error. Hot glue would be useless is the plastic over the bolt needed? Could it possibly be cut off so you can get a socket on the bolt?