Zerk locations on 721DT

profgeek

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 2013 721DT has about 42 hours on it. I want to make sure I'm getting grease on all the zerks. I have located 9 zerks, as follows:

• Rear wheel bearings (2)
  • Front wheel bearings (wheels on front of deck) (2)
  • Deck spindles (3)
  • End of shaft at rear of mower, by clutch
  • Front of shaft, just under foot rest, where deck telescopes in and out when raised

Are there any I am missing? The manual calls for a "universal half-shaft" but I'm not sure what that is (or where). I just want to make sure I'm not neglecting anything on this wonderful machine.

bobbysr

Threads
There's one at the front of the drive shaft - left side. Flip up foot rest. Its at the point that the deck drive shaft, connects to the main drive shaft.

The "universal half-shaft" is the one that telescopes in & out when the deck is raised.

profgeek

Forum Newbie
Threads
There's one at the front of the drive shaft - left side. Flip up foot rest. Its at the point that the deck drive shaft, connects to the main drive shaft.

The "universal half-shaft" is the one that telescopes in & out when the deck is raised.

OK. That makes sense. The half-shaft is this one then:

universal half-shaft.jpg

That's the one I grease regularly. So I have 9 grease points listed and I think there should be 10. It also calls for the "Clutch power shaft (2 fittings)." I found one of those near the clutch, but can't find the other one. Is it underneath somewhere?

The 9 I have located are:

• Front wheel bearings (2)
  • Rear wheel bearings (2)
  • Universal half-shaft
  • Spindles (3)
  • Clutch Power Shaft (calls for 2, but I've only found one)

bobbysr

Threads
You see the zerk fitting in your photo? Follow it back maybe 10". It's on the left side and behind the big knerled knob that you pull forward to release the drive shaft.

profgeek

Forum Newbie
Threads
You see the zerk fitting in your photo? Follow it back maybe 10". It's on the left side and behind the big knerled knob that you pull forward to release the drive shaft.

Thanks for that. Your directions were great and I was able to locate it (it was covered with dirt and didn't look like a zerk until I cleaned it off). Here are two photos of the fittings, just in case anyone else has the same problem locating them as I did (both views are from the front with the foot rest raised).

Universal half shaft:

universal half-shaft Merged.jpg

Clutch power shaft (front zerk):

clutch power shaft front zerk Merged.jpg

Thanks for the help!

173abn

Threads
flip your seat up,if it's like my 928d there should be 2 for your steering levers..russ

bobbysr

Threads
flip your seat up,if it's like my 928d there should be 2 for your steering levers..russ

Interesting. None of my 700 series GH has ever had zirk's on the steering levers.

173abn

Threads
my 928d has a total of 14 zerks,It's an older model.I think someone told me the newer ones have less including the spindles.Personally I'd rather grease my spindles rather than have sealed ones....russ