Gravel cracked the window!

pollyannasmum

Threads
I just saw a man mowing the lawn across the road with a huge petrol mower and he kicked up some gravel that cracked the window. I hope the occupiers have insurance, or would insurance cover this type of accident?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Questions - Did this guy break his own window ? House or car window? :eek:
Good homeowners should cover it possibly with a deductible.

Suffolk where ? Is that England ? We also have a Suffolk, VA.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just saw a man mowing the lawn across the road with a huge petrol mower and he kicked up some gravel that cracked the window. I hope the occupiers have insurance, or would insurance cover this type of accident?

Anybody stupid enough to break a window by having the discharge chute directed at a window should have to pay for the damage out of their own pocket...homeowners insurance here is usually $250-500 deductible. If the damaged window was not the property of the person that broke it, I hope you were a good citizen and made notes to furnish to the homeowner, or the authorities.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree - The guy running the machine that threw the rock should pay (or at least pay any deductible). It may have been a complete accident and the gravel may not have been that noticable and it may be that it is nearly impossible to always keep shute pointed away from windows, BUT the guy should own up to it and pay.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree - The guy running the machine that threw the rock should pay (or at least pay any deductible). It may have been a complete accident and the gravel may not have been that noticable and it may be that it is nearly impossible to always keep shute pointed away from windows, BUT the guy should own up to it and pay.

Well said...most mowers have a flexible discharge chute that should deflect thrown items but a lot of people remove them or wire them up to gain closer cuts...I am guilty of that myself.

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Anybody stupid enough to break a window by having the discharge chute directed at a window should have to pay for the damage out of their own pocket...homeowners insurance here is usually $250-500 deductible. If the damaged window was not the property of the person that broke it, I hope you were a good citizen and made notes to furnish to the homeowner, or the authorities.

I have cracked a window by the weed eater shooting a rock, and have put holes in siding with the chute on the mowwer facing away from the house. Stone came out from the opposite side, bounced off the ground and then hit the siding.:confused2: And I did that with the old MTD so don't say it was because I was using a CUT.
Remember if you talk to the wife I only own lawnmowers.:wink:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have cracked a window by the weed eater shooting a rock, and have put holes in siding with the chute on the mowwer facing away from the house. Stone came out from the opposite side, bounced off the ground and then hit the siding.:confused2: And I did that with the old MTD so don't say it was because I was using a CUT.
Remember if you talk to the wife I only own lawnmowers.:wink:

Sure, no problem, we will just refer to you as "Lawnmower Man"...:laughing:

Anybody ever see that movie where the guy sics his hopped up, remote control reel mower on the other guy who was seeing his girlfriend? What a scene!!! :biggrin:

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Lucky it was only a window and not a person. You really can't overstate the dangers of flying objects being shot out of mowers. Yes, it's true that the discharge chutes do a good job of deflecting most large objects, but then some get through or ricochet. :thumbdown:

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lucky it was only a window and not a person. You really can't overstate the dangers of flying objects being shot out of mowers. Yes, it's true that the discharge chutes do a good job of deflecting most large objects, but then some get through or ricochet. :thumbdown:

I was mowing around a 4 foot diameter maple when a piece of bark that was laying on the ground ricochet off the ground hit the trunk of the tree and hit me right in the lip and it open.:shocked: Boy did that hurt.:eek:

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I was mowing around a 4 foot diameter maple when a piece of bark that was laying on the ground ricochet off the ground hit the trunk of the tree and hit me right in the lip and it open.:shocked: Boy did that hurt.:eek:

And it probably happened in about 1/3 of a second, too.

I remember mowing around the house once and a little pebble ricocheted off the concrete foundation and hit me right below the eye. From that point forward I started wearing eye protection while mowing. And I pondered the safety justification of a full cab enclosure on any future mower purchase. :thumbsup: