HRT216SDA Won't Start

motaro38

Threads
Starting with starting fluid is not necessarily a sign of spark. The fluid acts as a accelerant and even the weakest spark will ignight it.

Just pull the plug reconnect the disconnect plug to the boot hold the end of the plug (the spark side) to the engine block and turn the engine and see if you have spark

I put the new plug in and pulled the cord but still no start. The serial is: MZCG 6183521 with a ZG at the far right.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I put the new plug in and pulled the cord but still no start. The serial is: MZCG 6183521 with a ZG at the far right.

Okay, so did you do a spark test? Can you confirm you are getting spark?

Next, how old is the gasoline in the tank? Any fuel over 45 days old should be drained out of the tank and carburetor and refill the tank with fresh fuel.

Check the choke plate and make sure it is fully closed when the throttle lever is set to CHOKE. You'll need to remove the air cleaner cover and filter element to see the choke plate. Move the throttle to SLOW and confirm the choke plate opens up all the way.

Some photos of the carburetor area (showing the choke plate) and all the linkage might help me see better what is going on. What else can you tell me about the problem/history of the mower...

motaro38

Threads
Okay, so did you do a spark test? Can you confirm you are getting spark?
Yep, nice strong bright spark:

Next, how old is the gasoline in the tank? Any fuel over 45 days old should be drained out of the tank and carburetor and refill the tank with fresh fuel.
It wasn't that old when it stopped working

Check the choke plate and make sure it is fully closed when the throttle lever is set to CHOKE. You'll need to remove the air cleaner cover and filter element to see the choke plate. Move the throttle to SLOW and confirm the choke plate opens up all the way.
Yeah it does, tried starting it in both positions no go. Could smell gas too and float bowl is full so its gettin into carb just not to engine.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could smell gas too and float bowl is full so its gettin into carb just not to engine.

How about some photos? Would like to see close-up of the carb, choke, linkage etc.

Strongly suggest you drain out all the fuel and put in fresh. I had a pressure washer I "thought" had fresh fuel and it would not start, until the old fuel was drained and filled up with fresh...

motaro38

Threads
How about some photos? Would like to see close-up of the carb, choke, linkage etc.

hondacarb1.jpg

hondacarb2.jpg

hondacarb3.jpg

hondacarb4.jpg

Picture I used to reassemble:

16100-zm0-803_assy.gif

Attachments

• hondacarb1.jpg
    hondacarb1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 8

firedawgsatx

Threads
I was checking your photos and noticed that the short rod on your choke butterfly control is in a different hole than mine is on my HRT216. I have attached a photo with the hole circled in red.

Attachments

• HondaGCV160IV.jpg
    HondaGCV160IV.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 21

motaro38

Threads
I mighta messed that up, I'll reassemble like yours and try again.

motaro38

Threads
Hopefully, that is all it is. Please let us know the outcome.

Unfortunately still won't start, but that's definitely the correct linkage, throttle works appropriately now. I have no idea why it's not starting. I guess I could try emptying all the fuel but it looks perfectly clean and clear. Is there anything else that could be causing this?

Also what is this tube for?

hondacarb1arrow.jpg

Is there some kind of backpressure system on these engines that pushes the fuel from the carb into engine? Perhaps its plugged? (I don't know lawnmowers well, but have taken apart 2 stroke engines/carbs before)

firedawgsatx

Threads
Also what is this tube for?

That rubber tube is the breather tube and it fits on the nipple on the back of the air filter box. Have you made sure that fuel is still flowing from the fuel tank into the carburetor bowl? Make sure the fuel lines are clear. There is a filter screen inside the fuel tank where the fuel line connects. Make sure that screen is totally clear. Also, loosen the fuel tank cap to see if the engine will start. There is a vent hole in that cap that sometimes becomes clogged and prevents starting. It is always a good idea to clean out the fuel tank, the fuel tank screen and the fuel lines before installing a new carb or one that was just cleaned. If not, the smallest bit of crud from those locations I mentioned can cause the carb to quickly clog back up. The holes in the carb jets are so small it doesn't take much to re-clog them. I would definitely put fresh fuel in the tank. It can make a huge difference in starting the engine.

Last edited: