Scag Overheating

Scrub

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 61" Turf Tiger with a Kawasaki. I run for about 20 minutes and the temp guage gets within about 1/8" of red. It varies slightly from run to run but consistently I'm in that territory. I recently had to rebuild the engine due to a blown head gasket, so I don't want to push it. Everything else looks good. Anyone else seen this?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Either water pump not working, or the thermostat is stuck in the closed position. Are you sure that water is flowing through the radiator. maybe clogged radiator core.

Scrub

Forum Newbie
Threads
Either water pump not working, or the thermostat is stuck in the closed position. Are you sure that water is flowing through the radiator. maybe clogged radiator core.

Thanks. Replaced the thermostat but I suspect you're right about one of the other two. Any suggestions on the best way to test?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
with the unit started off cold, remove the radiator cap, and start the mower, and watch for water flow through the radiator, Possibly stick finger in cap hole feeling for temp change in the coolant. May also be able to use no contact thermometer to check to see were the hot water flow is stopping.

dweikel

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same issue with overheating. I replaced the thermostat. No change. I replaced the radiator cap and reservoir cap just to be safe. I tried starting engine cold with the radiator cap off to see if there was a change in temp. When I started it the coolant shot out of the rad! Not normal I'd assume?

Also I notice when the unit is not in use the coolant seems to migrate from the reservoir and into the engine. As I run the mower the coolant all seems to flow out of the motor and into the reservoir to the point where pressure builds and the coolant begins leaking from the res.

Any further troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated!!