Opinions on the 420cc 6 speed craftsman engine on the 29000 Rear Engine Rider.....

TEXASDUDE

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Opinions on the 420cc 6 speed craftsman engine on the 29000 Rear Engine Rider.....
I'm looking at buying a rear engine rider and I'm down to the Craftsman 29000 and the Snapper RE130. Price is basically the deciding factor. The Snapper dealer in my area offered me the Snapper 110 or the Snapper 130 for $1399. However, for $1000 the Craftsman 29000 is HARD to beat. For one, the attachments for the Craftsman are a hair cheaper. I love the fact the motor is stronger in the Craftsman. I've read up on the 420cc motor and all I've found is that it's, "a proven MTD engine." Well, can any of you gents chime in on whether or not this engine is solid? I've read that it's made by MTD.

I'd rather buy the craftsman and save the money, but I know the Snapper Briggs and Stratton Powerbuilt engine is bullet proof. I just can't pull the trigger and justify the extra $400 for the Snapper. Heck, I even read on some article they were basically the same machine. However, I doubt that to be the case. Although, it wouldn't shock me if that were the case.

What say you craftsmen men? Do I turn to the darkside and go Snapper?

Full disclosure, my walk behind mower is a Craftsman Platinum Personal Pace 21in deck that I love.

Thank you so much in advance,

TexasDude

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Opinions on the 420cc 6 speed craftsman engine on the 29000 Rear Engine Rider.....
I like both craftsman and snapper. If I was going to buy a rer it would be snapper.
Snapper has always made the best rer.

The craftsman is a nice ride also and would do fine and last you years.

But still I like the snapper better and the cut it gives is much better.

Mudface777

Threads
Caescqw is right. Snapper makes the best rear engine mower. Personally I would go Snapper.

finisher51

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would spend the extra $400 because the 29000 and the 25000 models have had well documented transmission problems and the cost to fix is over $400 unless you have the problem within the two year warranty.Do a little research or type in "problems with craftsman rear engine mowers" and you will find other forums on this issue.You should be able to find out if this problem has been fixed on the new model.Also you will see that the same trans is used in a few other RE mowers.Craftsman has not had a recall on this mower but did send letters to some customers offering lifetime trans service.Myself.....I would just go for the snapper mower.

Jim58

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had the Craftsman Rear Engine Rider 420cc engine since 2013. In 2015 it started burning oil and the Sears tech said I had a clogged oil filter-which was bull. So it continued burning oil cause Sears wouldn't do nothing. Then last Friday 8/10/18 it started blowing oil into carb. Thats when it finally quit. Now I have nothing to mow with.

I'm looking at buying a rear engine rider and I'm down to the Craftsman 29000 and the Snapper RE130. Price is basically the deciding factor. The Snapper dealer in my area offered me the Snapper 110 or the Snapper 130 for $1399. However, for $1000 the Craftsman 29000 is HARD to beat. For one, the attachments for the Craftsman are a hair cheaper. I love the fact the motor is stronger in the Craftsman. I've read up on the 420cc motor and all I've found is that it's, "a proven MTD engine." Well, can any of you gents chime in on whether or not this engine is solid? I've read that it's made by MTD.

I'd rather buy the craftsman and save the money, but I know the Snapper Briggs and Stratton Powerbuilt engine is bullet proof. I just can't pull the trigger and justify the extra $400 for the Snapper. Heck, I even read on some article they were basically the same machine. However, I doubt that to be the case. Although, it wouldn't shock me if that were the case.

What say you craftsmen men? Do I turn to the darkside and go Snapper?

Full disclosure, my walk behind mower is a Craftsman Platinum Personal Pace 21in deck that I love.

Thank you so much in advance,

TexasDude

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Jim,
I had asked you to start a new post with your problem but as you have tacked it onto an old thread we may as well get stuck into it here.
Dip the oil, feel it & smell it.
Expect it to feel thin , smell like fuel and be above the high level.

This happens because the float needle sticks open and allows fuel to dribble into the engine down into the sump which thins the oil so you start blowing smoke .
Liquid fuel in the combustion chamber can cause hydrolocking and also blow head gaskets.
So the carb will need to come off & apart to get cleaned.
You will need to change the oil after you have finished and again after the first mow.
Most likely the spark plug will be fouled so replace it as well.
Using the belt and braces approach get an in line fuel tap and put it in a convienent place as close to the tank as you can.
This way you can not only turn the fuel off when you finish mowing to prevent a reoccurence it will make working on the carb & replacing the fuel filter so much easier & cleaner.