Z960R MOD

Nwatson99

Threads
Well it has been a while since my last activity, but I ordered a new Z960R with the MOD deck and trading in my Z930A.
I went with the 960R due to the electric deck lift and deck kill switch on the handles, 31 HP Kawasaki Engine, and the newly designed suspension seat with lumbar support. My back and neck are both injured and with the size of my yard 6.5 acres I need all the assistance I can get with a better ride.

Ridin' Green

Threads
I have a 950 with the MOD deck. I will never buy another MOD as long as I live. they don't cut as cleanly as the Pro deck, and are ten times more fussy about how they are set up as far as pitch, blades etc. Good luck with that 31 BB. There is a service bulletin on them.... again. Something to do with hard starting in cold weather and needing the cam replaced. Also, I have found that the std deluxe seat with the suspension seat insert kit rides as good as, or better than, the new suspension seat. I could not get the back angle to be comfortable no matter what, and I have heard from several others who had the same problem. That new suspension seat has little padding and is hard as rock IMO.

Nwatson99

Threads
I have a 950 with the MOD deck. I will never buy another MOD as long as I live. they don't cut as cleanly as the Pro deck, and are ten times more fussy about how they are set up as far as pitch, blades etc. Good luck with that 31 BB. There is a service bulletin on them.... again. Something to do with hard starting in cold weather and needing the cam replaced. Also, I have found that the std deluxe seat with the suspension seat insert kit rides as good as, or better than, the new suspension seat. I could not get the back angle to be comfortable no matter what, and I have heard from several others who had the same problem. That new suspension seat has little padding and is hard as rock IMO.

Oh hell, man thanks for the info I will call my dealer tomorrow and get this ironed out and noted before it even ships from JD.
It is suppose to be here next Friday, but after reading this I might just go back with the 7 Iron and the Service Bulletin will be brought to his attention immediately.

Again greatly appreciate the info.

Ridin' Green

Threads
Oh hell, man thanks for the info I will call my dealer tomorrow and get this ironed out and noted before it even ships from JD.
It is suppose to be here next Friday, but after reading this I might just go back with the 7 Iron and the Service Bulletin will be brought to his attention immediately.

Again greatly appreciate the info.

The best bet is to demo one. You might like it, but I will never buy one again, especially for how much it costs over the Pro deck.

It appears that many dealers aren't aware of this bulletin for some reason. Maybe yours will be one that is.

Nwatson99

Threads
The best bet is to demo one. You might like it, but I will never buy one again, especially for how much it costs over the Pro deck.

It appears that many dealers aren't aware of this bulletin for some reason. Maybe yours will be one that is.

Yesterday morning I was on the phone with my JD dealer and expressed the concern that RG had brought up, my salesman stated to me well if there is an issue he will find out and if there is problems with the MOD deck he would call JD and just have the 960 sent with the regular 7 iron deck.

Well I got a phone call back this morning about this and again Ridin' Green thank you for your info.

Dealer spent all day yesterday checking the bulletins even called JD to find out about any cold start problems on the Kaw motors and there is no problems with them on their side, nor are they having any reported issues with what was described about the cold start and cam.
Also with the MOD deck, my salesman took time and called customers that had purchased the MOD deck "in addition one of the salesman purchased the 950R last year with the MOD deck" anyway this year which was (4) customers asking if there were any issues and none of them had a complaint and stated they loved it, one of his customers who owns a mowing company had purchased the 960R identical to the one I am buying stated when it is time for another machine they are getting either another 960R or possibly going to try the diesel with the MOD deck as well.

I will keep everyone up to date on this and if this mower is not cracked up to what they say it is I will let everyone know.

But while the dealer was on the phone with JD in reference to my mower, JD told him my mower should arrive at the dealership this Friday and dealer told me I would have it at the latest on Tuesday.

Ridin' Green

Threads
Good luck with it (meant sincerely, not as sarcasm).

Like I have mentioned to you already, I don't have a lot of problems with the MOD deck under normal conditions, but it certainly doesn't cut as cleanly at any normal mowing speed as the std Pro deck does, and when it's wet, it builds up underneath a bit (especially at the moving gates as you will soon see) where the Pro deck doesn't at all. When it gets really dry out, that's when the problems start really becoming apparent. It does not cut really dry fescue nearly as well as the std Pro deck if you cut at any height over 3" (which most of us who mow for a living do).

I never trust a dealer to tell you the truth about anything. They are in it to make money, and selling a MOD makes them more money. I have nothing to gain by trying to steer you one way or the other. I am just relating my own experiences after owning both types of deck on the newer style JD's. Go to Lawnsite and read about the BB Kawi issues, whether cam and valve related, or oil burning. There are a few threads that are either running now, or in the recent past that are going about this subject in the commercial mowing forums. The one thread is regarding a bulletin to hustler dealers that many of them aren't even aware of, or have heard nothing about from Hustler. However, the issue is a Kawi issue, not a Hustler issue. Another guy posted that his JD dealer was well aware of it, and has performed the service work already on more than one machine. Point is, your dealer may not be telling you the truth because he wants to sell you a machine.

Nwatson99

Threads
Hey RG got the 960R in today and man I really like this machine.

Sorry about to hear about your seat, but mine dialed in perfectly fine, I leaned it all the way back then used the lumbar to blow up my back for the perfect angle and support. The arm rests I was really upset with at first and some profanity was flying, until I found you could adjust the angle on them as well so I got them cranked up and riding pretty darn good.

The MOD deck, yes you were 100% correct, it cuts really nice but it does not stripe much like the 7 iron deck on the 930A had prominent stripes and could be seen much more easily, however the MOD function works great and did exactly as I was hoping it would do so I am happy with that.

The new hydraulic system is very different looking at under the seat, lines, valve, additional filter, etc and with the deck lift it does function much more smoothly over the electric deck lift, but the down fall to the hydraulic is you must start the mower now to get the deck to move VS in the past just turn on the key and press the button.

The 31HP Kawasaki engine I am super impressed with the power, never dreamed 2 more horse power would have made that much of a difference, but this mower has all kinds of power and then some.

Transmissions seem to be more tighter and responsive as well, I guess the Cross Porting System really works with thus far a big huge thumbs up since the new system it is like day night and dark between the two machines.

I do have a couple of questions for you and hope you know.
1. What is the small fuel line on the side of the carb going back to the tank, it runs with the fuel line?
2. What is the little white deal in the intake pipe that puts in you mind of the oxygen sensor, but it is not hooked up to anything?
3. Have you changed your tranny fluid yet for 300hr and if so what did you use for a catch pan for the external filter?

Ridin' Green

Threads
OK, here we go:laughing:-
1- the MOD deck a little stripes better IME than the PRO deck due to being a lot more tightly baffled, but that all depends on the grasses you cut too.

2- I have the std "deluxe" seat with the suspension seat insert kit. I couldn't get the new suspension seat to fit me no matter what angle the backrest was at, or where the lumbar was adjusted to. The seat I have with the suspension insert kit rides better than the new hard suspension seat does, so that's why I stuck with it instead of replacing it with the new seat.

3- If you're asking about the little white hex plug in the rubber intake tube's elbow, I have no idea, nor has anyone I've asked. I've been told it is for an entirely different application of the Donaldson air filter system that is used on these machines, but can't confirm that.

4- that little line that you are asking about is part of the new EPA BS compliance deal that ball manu's have to meet now. It is some sort of fuel recovery thing that runs to a charcoal cannister that should be mounted on the left side of your air system somewhere as seen from the rear.

5- I use two separate oil pans to catch the oil under each trans and filter.

6- you mentioned that you are surprised that 2 hp made that much difference. You should be because it is actually 5.5 hp difference. You old 930 must have been made prior to 2012 when they (Kawi) started using the new rating system (J1995 vs the old system of J1940) that accurately reflects true HP. The FX 801 in your 930 is true rated at 25.5, not the inflated number of 29 that it was labeled as when it was built. The FX921 you have now is true rated at the 31 yours says it is, whereas it used to be rated at 34 before the specs were tightened up. All engines by all manu's are the same exact power they always were in reality, only now, Kawi is using true HP numbers to rate their engines. Kohler on the other hand, is still labeling their engines with J1940 numbers to boost sales of lesser HP engines to compete with Kawi. It is very dishonest and misleading. If you go to Kohler's site, and know the exact engine model number ie; CV740 etc etc, you can look up the engines info, then click on the specs tab and go way down to the bottom and see the actual, true HP under the J1995 rating system. All that is taking place because of the massive class action lawsuit that took place a few years back against the small engine industry for over rating their engines HP.

Nwatson99

Threads
OK, here we go:laughing:-
1- the MOD deck a little stripes better IME than the PRO deck due to being a lot more tightly baffled, but that all depends on the grasses you cut too.
Well my 7iron on the 930 like I said looks more prominent and visible.

2- I have the std "deluxe" seat with the suspension seat insert kit. I couldn't get the new suspension seat to fit me no matter what angle the backrest was at, or where the lumbar was adjusted to. The seat I have with the suspension insert kit rides better than the new hard suspension seat does, so that's why I stuck with it instead of replacing it with the new seat.
Got ya.

3- If you're asking about the little white hex plug in the rubber intake tube's elbow, I have no idea, nor has anyone I've asked. I've been told it is for an entirely different application of the Donaldson air filter system that is used on these machines, but can't confirm that.
That would be it, will stand by or I will start digging tomorrow and find out what the heck it is.

4- that little line that you are asking about is part of the new EPA BS compliance deal that ball manu's have to meet now. It is some sort of fuel recovery thing that runs to a charcoal cannister that should be mounted on the left side of your air system somewhere as seen from the rear.
Thank ya, after I saw it I thought what is this something else to tear up and replace.

5- I use two separate oil pans to catch the oil under each trans and filter.
Me to I am talking about the 3rd hydraulic filter right behind the deck under the seat?

6- you mentioned that you are surprised that 2 hp made that much difference. You should be because it is actually 5.5 hp difference. You old 930 must have been made prior to 2012 when they (Kawi) started using the new rating system (J1995 vs the old system of J1940) that accurately reflects true HP. The FX 801 in your 930 is true rated at 25.5, not the inflated number of 29 that it was labeled as when it was built. The FX921 you have now is true rated at the 31 yours says it is, whereas it used to be rated at 34 before the specs were tightened up. All engines by all manu's are the same exact power they always were in reality, only now, Kawi is using true HP numbers to rate their engines. Kohler on the other hand, is still labeling their engines with J1940 numbers to boost sales of lesser HP engines to compete with Kawi. It is very dishonest and misleading. If you go to Kohler's site, and know the exact engine model number ie; CV740 etc etc, you can look up the engines info, then click on the specs tab and go way down to the bottom and see the actual, true HP under the J1995 rating system. All that is taking place because of the massive class action lawsuit that took place a few years back against the small engine industry for over rating their engines HP.
You know I am furious about this now those S.O.B.s' lying and misrepresenting their stuff, yes my Z930 was a 2010 model with a 29HP Kawasaki on it and that explains it now why it feels so much more powerful and never even grunted when I went deck down and was mowing wide open this evening.

Ridin' Green

Threads
Well my 7iron on the 930 like I said looks more prominent and visible.

Got ya.

That would be it, will stand by or I will start digging tomorrow and find out what the heck it is.

Thank ya, after I saw it I thought what is this something else to tear up and replace.

Me to I am talking about the 3rd hydraulic filter right behind the deck under the seat?

You know I am furious about this now those S.O.B.s' lying and misrepresenting their stuff, yes my Z930 was a 2010 model with a 29HP Kawasaki on it and that explains it now why it feels so much more powerful and never even grunted when I went deck down and was mowing wide open this evening.

The little hex thing is just a bung for some other application. It doesn't go anywhere, or do anything. Just a plug/bung. It isn't even shown in JD's parts breakdowns for any of the air filter systems on any of the Z's.

That is the filter for the hydraulic lift. I don't have that on my Z950A.

Filter number for replacement is LVA16054