Snakes Alive!!!

RockHound

Threads
Everytime I mow my yard, I will come across some type of snake or other. We have a creek in our front yard and we have a lot of garter snakes around because of the frogs and lizards that are around. We also have a lot of rabbits that will hop across our yard occasionally. I know all of these are food sources for the snakes but gee whiz! I'm telling you, I can't stand snakes. Is there any way to repel them or to discourage them from frequenting my yard? :eek:

monica123

Threads
Ways to deter snakes include:

- Keeping bushes and shrubs away form your home.
- Cleaning up junk and trash.
- Keeping your lawn mowed.
- Eliminating any cool hiding spots.

You can also chase away food sources. Snakes like insects like crickets and grasshoppers, as well as small rodents like rats, mice and squirrels. You can get rid of these to make your home less inviting to a snake.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actually, as long as they aren't venomous they are good to have around. they won't bother you and will take care of pests. Black Snakes will even kill copperheads and rattlesnakes. They might startle you, but won't harm you. :smile:

Hand2ThePlow

Threads
Black Snakes... might startle you, but won't harm you.

When we put in the septic for the house we were short one piece of 3" pipe and my BIL told me that he had some in his shed. As I entered the shed my eyes hadn't adjusted to the darkness yet and as I reached for the pipe, it slithered off the shelf across the floor and out the door! That was the biggest black snake I've ever seen.

Zeroturn

Threads
There is something that you can put on the edge of your property all around. I almost think it's lime. When the snake goes across the powder, the snake will burn his stomach and won't cross. We had a lot of snakes too. We took out all the rocks, and got rid of a lot of wild flowers.

Stevie-Ray

Threads
About 20 years ago. I was mowing my back yard and hit a garter snake. He must have crawled right under the mower as it passed him, because I surely didn't see him. Anyways the mower coughed with a PLUGH! I let out a string of mild shop talk, killed the mower, and my next-door neighbor hollered, "What was that?" I told her I had just run over a snake. Her young son immediately yelled "I wanna see it!" "No, you don't" I said, as the snake was rather generously ripped open with innards showing, and I hurriedly went to fetch a shovel. He made it to the fence before I got back, got a good look and said, "COOL!"

Kids.:laughing:

ReggieDeere

Threads
Non-venomous snakes are very important to have around. They feed on rodents and pests, that might otherwise tear up your yard/garden. If you don't want them, I'll take them! I need a little pest control.:smile:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I want to know what kind of septic system uses 3" pipe!

Depends on local code - We have 2" & 3" inside - 4" from basement to 1000 Gal. tank - 2" from 2nd 1000 Gal. tank (waste water) pumped to distribution box - & 4" in septic field. The 2" from Pump to Dist. Box is sleeved inside 3".

Different areas have different codes. :rolleyes:

RockHound

Threads
LOL! We had a neighbor who put up a sign that said "FREE SNAKES-take as many as you please". We've laughed over it ever since. Seriously though, I don't mind the non-venomous type, I even rescue them from the cat. But when the copperheads, water moccasins and the rattlers start crawling around to bask in the sun, I sure don't like it much.:thumbdown: