spindle shaft screws

bluezgirl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I am trying to get the spindle housing off my murray deck. I've sprayed it (both sides -top and bottom) with liquid wrench three times over the past three days but they wont budge. do i need a torque wrench? What gives, can I just whack the bottoms off with a hammer? (that's what i feel like doing at this point). :confused2: I'm attaching some photos of the bottom. Thanks for your help. 100_9124.jpg100_9125.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Clean the threads on the screws with a wire brush, soak with some sort of penetrating oil, and then remove the bolts, they may be seized and just break off due to corrosion in the thread area.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most of them will break no matter what you try, just get a friend with an impact wrench and break them off, go back on with 5/16 machine screw/bolts.

Those are self tapped at the factory, the only good way to take them off whole is with an impact as well.

bluezgirl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok Ilengine, I will do that, thanks for your reply. I was ready to go out and buy one of those air torque wrenches. I get frustrated when it comes to using strength to do things.. being a girl has it's disadvantages. I'll spray them some more with liquid wrench and clean them with wire instead of nylon bristle and see what that does. :cool: I'll let you know if I can get them off of there. Thanks again!

bluezgirl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Fish, if I can't get them off with using the liquid wrench and a good cleaning, is a impact wrench the same as an air torque wrench?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well a torque wrench is just a basic socket wrench that measures the "torque" or tightness of a fastener when re-assembling.

An air/electric impact wrench uses little pulses of energy, which gradually loosens and hammers the bolt , knocking the rust
corrosion loose, better than anything else. Soaking these bolts in anything is pretty much a waste of time.

Heck, a real good investment for you would be going to Lowes and buying an electric impact wrench, they have some good power....

bluezgirl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info Fish - my air compressor is only a 3 gallon one so I'm not sure it will do the job with the impact wrench, I soaked and cleaned the bolts and nothing, not even a budge. I have a feeling I'm going to have to bring it down to the auto shop. I'd like to hit them with my hammer but I know that's a temporary feel good idea and wont solve anything. :wink:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Actually putting a wrench on the bolts and smacking it to the left with a hammer will do the same as an impact wrench, but I would suggest going to Wal Mart and buying their $25 impact wrench if you have an air compressor, you will thank me in the long run.
If is can build a p.s.i. of 90 or better, it will do fine, you just will have to let it build up pressure between bolts, but having the
impact wrench will make your life a lot easier.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you just trying to remove them to put a new spindle housing on just break the bolts.

Just put a wrench in them and a cheater bar and snap them off.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you just trying to remove them to put a new spindle housing on just break the bolts.

Just put a wrench in them and a cheater bar and snap them off.

True, but using an impact wrench after never having that option, is quite empowering, and will make one feel confident that
he/she can handle anything that comes along. Imagine/think how much easier changing blades will be from now on.. Changing a car tire!!!