spindle shaft screws

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
True, but using an impact wrench after never having that option, is quite empowering, and will make one feel confident that he/she can handle anything that comes along. Imagine/think how much easier changing blades will be from now on.. Changing a car tire!!!

I agree. But don't tell anyone I don't want anyone to know I agree with you.

Man I hate changing blades. Should have changed mine days ago

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yah, when I worked in Lawrenceburg, one of my customers was coach "Buddy Ryan", and like most of my older customers, he was tight as hell, he always wanted me to come out to his horse farm to work on his stuff, and he had a little 1 gallon compressor, and it was good enough to do any chore out there that I had to deal with. But I was using good Ingersoll stuff
back then. You just had to wait for the compressor to recover before the next nut.....

bluezgirl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Fish,

Yay! It's finally fixed. Got a cheapo air wrench at Harbor Freight, they're on sale for $19.99 and used that. While the air compressor was filling up (it had to refill quite a bit) a smack on the ratchet with the hammer, they eventually loosened. I think all the oil that i put on there helped too. One bolt did break off but those bolts were crap anyway and I used the ones that came with the new part.
I guess I'm cheap too. I'm a widow and raised 4 kids alone for the past 15 years and got ripped off a few times before it sank in that I really needed to learn to do things myself. Every penny counts and fixing things myself is now second nature. I do need advice a lot though, Especially on things I have no clue as too. Last month I had to replace the bladder tank on my well, figured out how by watching YouTube videos. I thought it would be hard but once I had everything I needed (the tank,a few new PVC pipes and fittings) it was really quite easy. I'm just glad the well motor didn't need replacing, it's 120' down.
Also, thanks to Carsw and Ilengine too. Everyone's advice is like gold to me. I will remember it. :thumbsup:
time to get mowing - mow today, pool tomorrow. :wink:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah the youtube tutorials are great, I wished that I had them available 30 years ago. Even if they are not totally right in their method, you can watch it done, and that is priceless. Which is why I always advise anyone wanting to get into the business
of working on this crap, to go to a decent mower shop and offer to work for a month or two at min. wage, and at the end of that period, renegotiate. If you find out that you don't want to try to do that for a living, you came out ahead. If the guy likes your work, and gives you a big raise, take it and work for another year or so and soak in all of the knowledge that you can.
Then decide if you want to open your own shop.

If I had the internet back then, who knows... Watching it done is better than any book.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re-reading your last post, did you get the wrench that looked like this?

Attachments

• impact wrench.jpg
    impact wrench.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 1

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Or does it look like this one?

Attachments

• ratchet.jpg
    ratchet.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 2

bluezgirl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi - the wrench looks like the second one you posted.. the smaller one. It worked alright. I think it will also come in handy to get off rusted bike wheels as well, I have a few bikes that need fixing up and taking the wheels off is priority. I haven't had time to attempt that yet, the lawn mower was top on my list along with a few other things inside the house. :wink:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You should have gotten the first one, the impact wrench. It uses tiny bursts, or impacts to jar the nuts loose, and will bring out
screws that would otherwise break. The second one is just an air wrench, and has its usefulness but an impact is a must.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
One is a impact gun the other is a impact wrench.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
No the second one is an air wrench, you can buy them with impact action, but they are very pricey.