Repairs Honda GCV160 Knocking Noise

Alan511

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got a Honda GCV160 on Victa Commmando. My 7 year old usually mows the spectic area which is 1-2 times a week depending on what season/rainfall etc. He has ran over a thong and it has started making a pretty bad knocking noise. I took the blade plate off and notice that the shaft moves up and down a few mm and makes a knocking noise. I have asked around and some people have said that is normal. I have done a small video of it.

20140102 180704 - YouTube

I changed the flywheel key today as I stripped it down to have a look but there was nothing wrong with the old one. I notice that I could move the flywheel up and down 1-1.5mm.

lzn197

Threads
Oh boy. I had to look at one just like this. I can't remember what the proper end play SHOULD be but here is what happened. A customer brings it over, complaining about a knock. After my initial inspection, I find hammer marks on the top end of the flywheel. Turns out, the customer changed his own flywheel key but in the process he damaged the lower case of the engine by hammering on the end of the crankshaft to loosen the flywheel. That caused excessive end play. Just my .02.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got a Honda GCV160 on Victa Commmando. My 7 year old usually mows the spectic area which is 1-2 times a week depending on what season/rainfall etc. He has ran over a thong and it has started making a pretty bad knocking noise. I took the blade plate off and notice that the shaft moves up and down a few mm and makes a knocking noise. I have asked around and some people have said that is normal. I have done a small video of it.

20140102 180704 - YouTube

I changed the flywheel key today as I stripped it down to have a look but there was nothing wrong with the old one. I notice that I could move the flywheel up and down 1-1.5mm.

Does not look good, but measure to be sure:

crankaxialplay_zps85fd5c71.jpg

Could be a bent crankshaft (very possible if the issue started after you ran over something) and generally, it faster/easier/cheaper to replace the engine vs. the time and effort required to due a proper tear down, inspection, R&R damaged parts, etc.

Alan511

Forum Newbie
Threads
Oh boy. I had to look at one just like this. I can't remember what the proper end play SHOULD be but here is what happened. A customer brings it over, complaining about a knock. After my initial inspection, I find hammer marks on the top end of the flywheel. Turns out, the customer changed his own flywheel key but in the process he damaged the lower case of the engine by hammering on the end of the crankshaft to loosen the flywheel. That caused excessive end play. Just my .02.

Wow, the play was before I removed the flywheel. I used a jaw puller to remove the flywheel and torqued it back to Honda specs.

Does not look good, but measure to be sure:

crankaxialplay_zps85fd5c71.jpg

Could be a bent crankshaft (very possible if the issue started after you ran over something) and generally, it faster/easier/cheaper to replace the engine vs. the time and effort required to due a proper tear down, inspection, R&R damaged parts, etc.

Thought it maybe a bent crankshaft. I measured it last night with the fuel tank cover off and then lifting the flywheel up while someone held a ruler beside it and down which was around 1.5mm

Alan511

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just had a look at new N1 crankshaft and it was $45. Went out to the shed to see which GCV it was and it is a N2U (GCV160AO N2U R280) which is more than double of the N1. It is just over 12 months old and motors aren't that cheap in Australia. Usually cheaper just to buy a whole new mower which is around $600.

tds19

Forum Newbie
Threads
could be "spark knocking" since you say it makes a knocking sound. Review your owners manual, maintenance section.

Alan511

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did two more small videos today once home from work.

1st one is just me moving the shaft left and right (need sound)

Alan511

Forum Newbie
Threads
2nd one is it running. Also blows out a lot of smoke but seems to settle down after awhile.

It does vibrate to, not really bad like some videos I watched on youtube but you can fell it in the handle.

Last edited:

jdf007

Forum Newbie
Threads

Hello,

Did you ever solve the issue, I have exactly the same problem. Thanks in advance.