Traction Problems, Correct Tire Pressure?

MBDiagMan

Threads
I have a wonderful 725K2 I bought last Summer. It has lugged tires and I seem to have traction problems at times. I wonder if the tires are hard, or otherwise at fault. Before I go so far as to buy tires, what pressure are you guys running in those lugged tires?

Thanks in advance for your advice and comments.

bozoc

Threads
I run 8psi on my bar tread tires on a 722d2. That is what my manual calls for. I have pretty good traction and our soil is very sandy.

MBDiagMan

Threads
Thanks bozoc. I don't have a manual, so knowing what the manual calls for is very helpful. I will give it a try.

HarryHarley

Threads
Although Grasshopper has a label on the rim saying 8psi, I have always ignored that.
There is so much power with the hydraulic drive that it can sometimes take the tire right off the rim. (Like on hard turns)
Happened to me twice. So from then on I use what the "tire" says.... in my case 22psi. Never another problem in many years. No traction problems either.
Of course, I don't use anything but the mower on it.
Are you tires bald (ish)?

Attachments

• Grasshopper723K1 10-6-09.JPG
    Grasshopper723K1 10-6-09.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 8

bobbysr

Threads
My owners manual also say 8psi. But, I too have heard of the tire comming off the rim. I run at 14 psi.

thehemikid

Threads
The manual says "8psi for the Standard 20x10x8 & 6psi for the Optional 21x11x8 (refer to decal on wheel for correct tire air pressure)". I have the 21" with the 6psi decal.

In my opinion, in general you'll get better traction with less air than with more (depending on circumstance) because of more tread to ground contact patch.

Myself, I'm running 5psi, not for the better traction, but because there are areas in my yard with lumps & bumps & holes that will jar your teeth & back out. So I do it to smooth out the ride. I raise the deck up 1 click to compensate for the height change. And having the less air pressure in my tires I take it a little easier with direction changes & side loading on slopes. I've actually slowed down some also, to make the ride a little smoother too.

I don't remember for sure but I think there's 300+ lbs torque per axle on these hoppers, and can dig a hole easy with any tire if you don't feather the levers from stop or change of direction. Also depending on condition of the rear bearing/bushing of the rear crazy wheels (on a front mount like a 700 series) & position they're in with a change of direction they add a little resistance & can add to drive tire spin. :2cents:

MBDiagMan

Threads
Thanks for all the replies. Good information in every one.

We had some much needed rain the last few days, so I have yet to get out the mower since my post. I'm anxious now to check the pressure and examine the tires. I think that the lugs are somewhat rounded off, but I don't think that they are so bad that they won't work for my purposes.

I have gotten enough experience with it that I can operate on flat ground without spinning. A matter of practice and finesse.

My problem is usually when in the bar ditch along the road. I think what is happening is I am getting into sort of a reverse high center sort of situation, while on angle. We are in the boondocks and the road is a long distance from the house, so this is sort of a rough mowing kind of area. In fact I used to mow it with the tractor and shredder when shredding the pastures. Since mowing it short it makes the whole place look better and the Bermuda is taking over more and more.

I am going to start mowing our Veterans Memorial on a volunteer basis and I darn sure don't want to spin at all there. It is flat ground, but we don't have the grass in real good shape yet. It's a nasty black gumbo soil, so, I don't want to be spinning and digging while were trying to get grass established. This is my main reason for wanting to optimize my chances of not spinning. I want the memorial to look as pristine as possible to show respect for the veterans.

Thanks again.