RPM Lawnboy Iron horse 8fh11lb

unclelee

Threads

Does anyone know the correct color for the grass rake?
Mine has what looks like silver paint on it in a couple very small places.

Last edited:

unclelee

Threads
Just got in some NOS parts from a shop up north.
They had wheel bolts...choke wire,stop lever and even through in an air filter. I was missing the choke wire, and I wanted new bolts for the wheels. My stop lever and air filter where nice as is...but I will replace everything I can if I find it NOS !!

SGRIFF144

Threads
I took the advice of a previous post and used a solid core spark plug wire from a different lawn boy coil I had. It's not quite long enough, so it rubs against the side of the block. I will look up a local Evinrude dealer and hopefully find one with adequate length.

After assembly of the magneto and block, I have excellent spark. However, seem to be having some issues with the carburetor. The float and needle work properly allowing gas to flow and stop at the correct intervals when manipulating by hand. However, when the bowl is installed and the gas is turned on, gas begins overflowing and pouring out (of the air filter?) I placed the float in a bowl of gas to make sure that it actually floats. Not sure where to go from this point other than trying a new float. Any thoughts?

Lee,

As for the color on the front of the mower, I believe that it is supposed to be a silver/galvanized color which should match the brackets that the handle attaches to. I found decals that match the ones on my mower via a seller on ebay. Attached are the decals for my mower, but I am not sure if they are the same for yours.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Sean

Attachments

• Decal.jpg
    Decal.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 12

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I took the advice of a previous post and used a solid core spark plug wire from a different lawn boy coil I had. It's not quite long enough, so it rubs against the side of the block. I will look up a local Evinrude dealer and hopefully find one with adequate length.

After assembly of the magneto and block, I have excellent spark. However, seem to be having some issues with the carburetor. The float and needle work properly allowing gas to flow and stop at the correct intervals when manipulating by hand. However, when the bowl is installed and the gas is turned on, gas begins overflowing and pouring out (of the air filter?) I placed the float in a bowl of gas to make sure that it actually floats. Not sure where to go from this point other than trying a new float. Any thoughts?

Lee,

As for the color on the front of the mower, I believe that it is supposed to be a silver/galvanized color which should match the brackets that the handle attaches to. I found decals that match the ones on my mower via a seller on ebay. Attached are the decals for my mower, but I am not sure if they are the same for yours.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Sean

If that's happening the float valve can't be sealing properly. It may seem OK but it's leaking.

Unclelee... this is one of the best LB threads ever. Keep up the great work. You really take it to the next level. And thanks for the excellent photos. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

unclelee

Threads
Also make sure your float adjusted properly....don't quote me because I am out of town and can't check my manual...but I think it should be 15/32" .
And thanks Two Stroke...I'm glad you enjoy.
These are really cool old machines, and they have a prominent place in mower history. It is good to see people take interest in preserving and restoring them.

unclelee

Threads
A little history:
I have found that 8FH10LB and 8FH11LB are 1952 modles. The year that Lawnboy purchased the Rotory Power Mower company.
I found this out when trying to figure out if my machine should have a shroud, like the 8FH13LB.
This is kind of a grey area of the LB history since the service manuals start in 1954 and the first mower described is the 8FH13LB.
A lot of times when I have seen these machines, for example...on eBay they are described as 53 or 54 ? So I am not the only one that has ran into this problem in identifying the correct year modle of these very early Lawnboys.
I have also found that I am in fact missing the shroud and I think I have located one for my machine, but I won't count on it untill I have it in my hands.
Needless to say...this is preventing me from sending it to paint at this time as I want to get it all done at once.
Hopefully in the next week or so I will have it so I can finish this one up and start on my 63.

JohnBoy1

Threads
I haven't forgot about you man. The one deal fell through but I'm doing my best to find you one.

unclelee

Threads
I haven't forgot about you man. The one deal fell through but I'm doing my best to find you one.

One of the guys from the other forum told me he had a nice one and quoted me a price....just waiting to hear back.
I'll let you know one way or the other....and thanks
Lee

LB8210

Threads
The solid core spark plug wire from a Johnson/Evinrude dealer comes in bulk 50ft rolls that they sell by the foot and the also have the connector with a plug boot in one package available.

unclelee

Threads
The solid core spark plug wire from a Johnson/Evinrude dealer comes in bulk 50ft rolls that they sell by the foot and the also have the connector with a plug boot in one package available.
That is good to know.
The older Lawnboys like the 8FH11LB or the 7000 had the fork style connectors and no boot. The kill lever is connected to the head and grounds to the end of the plug so a boot would be in the way.
Lee