A year with my Kommander...

Duckman

Threads
I have been getting a few PM's about my Kommander so I thought I would offermy thoughts after a year.

I put about 25 hours on it before I started off this season, I have done a oil, filter & air filter change. And I have replaced a set a blades for the start of this years mowing season.

I have removed the ROPS bar, and truthfully if you have a flat surfaces to mow...jerk that thing off and don't look back.

I have installed a Cyclone Rake on it for the fall clean up and if you get the hang of driving the thing...is the cats meow.

Would I buy the same mower... you betchababy. No questions asked, when I look at other ZTR's in the same range...I just smile, ya one of the stupid grins, like you did it right and who cares type.

Why...

Eeeee-Gads the power. Many will poo-poo the Kohlers, not me. Over half what I mow is a field that can get tall. This thing makes it with no problem.

THE FREAK'N CUT... It's just GREAT, 1800 rpms and that deck even makes my field looks beautiful let alone my lawn.

Speed vs power vs quality of cut. I can drive this thing as fast it goes at 2-1/4" cut and it amazes me how well it does.

I love the upgraded seat. I have seen some comments about the ride and the ones commenting don't even have a Kommander. ANYONE that has a mower in this range, it's not going to be a Cadillac. If you have a rough area, it's going to be rough...HOWEVER, I do believe this this crazy thing does a great job especially with the upgraded seat.

The ease of maintenance. It doesn't get any easier. Oil change is just plain stupid easy. I was about to buy a lift to get to the deck but I was able to drive it up on the lip of the diveway (about 4"), with the deck up, it gave me plenty of room to change the blades.

The deck. I love the way it is made, totally flat on top, you can get in clean. Thick, tough and simple. I had weird thing happen, branch got into the top of the deck and into the pulleys, jammed it ALL up. Had to kind of reset everything, piece of cake. In the past I had floating deck, I like this deck better for some reason, at least for my conditions.

Odd things I like. The deck raising mechanism and cut length adjustment, I just like the way it works, really simple, no big honking chains, straight forward. The cut in the frame to let the oil drip from the filter when you pull it off. The lift assist, after it got broke it, it really helps (ya I know I hated it in the beginning). The fuel consumption is great vs what it does...I swear It's better than my old 17hp Kawi. The mower just looks great, set it next to a BB and you see what I mean, well finished.

What I don't like...

It's mainly around one of the things I really LIKE...IT'S THE POWER. First that deck, at 1800rpm's it is LOUD. THEN the amount of dust, you do need a mask when it gets dry. The other thing has nothing to do with the mower, the local dealer. When I went to buy the blades this year, I asked what type/weight of oil do I use...the sold me some SF, I believe it asks for a minimum of SH or SJ. They said I would need a impact wrench to remove the blades, nah a simple 18" breaker bar did it with ease. Sometimes it seems they are a bit weak. Good people, I would buy from them again. In the beginning I tore up a lot of grass, but it was just a learning curve on my part.

Parting thoughts...

49341564.jpg

I know it sounds like I just drunk a bunch of cool-aide. This thing really runs well, cuts the grass with out going over it a second time and the bottom line it saves me time. I just enjoy driving the thing as I mow. If you get a Kommander, you are getting a good mower. I'm sure it's on par with others in this range, but over all if it fits what you like and the feel is there...buy the darn thing.

Those that are looking at the Komander (or what ever mower for that matter). TALK to people that have one...NOT cyber readers that look at boards/review sites all day and give you opinions. This purchase is TOO much money for you not to do that.

If you have any questions...PM me and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Stay safe out there... MIKE

Attachments

• 49341564.jpg
    49341564.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Ragnar4841

Threads
Duckman, thanks for your writeup. I think your comments match my thoughts to a tee--I don't thing I could have said it better. I'm very happy with my Kommander and would buy again in a second. I've had ZERO problems with it (including the B&S engine).

I've a couple comments to build on:

Deck Lift Assist - I had the dealer throw this in when I got my ZT. They didn't have one on site when I bought it, so I picked it up and installed myself. It took some adjustment to get it right, but it definitely helps and I'm glad I have it. The wife and kids will be able to lift it when needed.

Ergonomics -- while I don't have the suspension seat (though I am now tempted to add it), the controls positioning in relation to the operator is just about perfect. So easy to do everything on it and it's so comfortable. This was a big selling point of the Kubota over the others I looked at (Gravely ZT HD was my #2).

Not one regret--and I still think it was the best value for what I needed.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When they first came out I fought with many that they were over priced and not worth spending the little extra. Your comments reinforce that Kubota makes quality equipment and you get what you pay for. I know you both will not be looking for a replacement for many years down the road.

fishbone

Threads
I agree with you guys.
I got mine about the same time as you, Duckman, last year.
I changed the oil at year's end with just a few hours on it. Break-in and end of season coincided.
I have had no problems and the suspension seat is a blessing.
Not having mower problems doesn't mean there were/are not problems.
I'm still working out the mow pattern. Part of this is to deal with slopes and banks.
It will slide sideways VERY easily when traversing a bank.
One solution is to mow a traverse at the top and bottom where the slope is less steep. Then up/down between the two traverse cuts.
This also guards against to scalping at the top.
If turning or changing direction quickly the turf gets chewed up. The power and tread are unforgiving.
Some sharp turns cause the deck roller wheels to tear the turf.
I have a mulch deck which doesn't always give a good cut.
If the grass gets a touch high the cut grass clumps badly. The cut grass is not cut up into that small of clipping.
A load of cut grass is suspended up above the blades so the when the mower stops it dumps a big load at that spot.
If continuing onto a driveway, an incredible amount of grass is trailed or dumped there too. A real mess.
I just picked up a couple cans of ethanol free gas today. Wheee doggie, at $4.20/gal it cost almost $10 per mow.
Not the mower's fault, but she may have to drink 10% gas like the old Toro and Harley did.
It is fun to mow now.
I too would buy another.

Gabbyp

Threads
Duckman, You are the first one to mention that you use a Cyclone Rake on you Kommander machine. I have a Cyclone Rake on my Hustler Sport which has the 16HP Honda the Hydro Gear EZT transmissions. When the bag starts to get full the Sport really labors. I am looking for a heavier machine and after considerable research I was leaning towards the Kommander. Your comments may seal the deal for me. I know what you mean about learning to drive with a Cyclone Rake attached. Many a time I spun around and clipped my mail box with the back end of the rake. Most companies seem to say you should not pull a heavy load and have a small tongue weight of 50 lbs or less.
You mentioned that a speed of 1800 rpm the deck is loud. Is that the engine speed or the blade tip speed of 18000 rpm or something else. The specs for the engine max rpm is 3600. Are you running the engine at half speed. You review is great help to me is sorting our specs versus actual usage. Thanks

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree with you guys.
I got mine about the same time as you, Duckman, last year.
I changed the oil at year's end with just a few hours on it. Break-in and end of season coincided.
I have had no problems and the suspension seat is a blessing.
Not having mower problems doesn't mean there were/are not problems.
I'm still working out the mow pattern. Part of this is to deal with slopes and banks.
It will slide sideways VERY easily when traversing a bank.
One solution is to mow a traverse at the top and bottom where the slope is less steep. Then up/down between the two traverse cuts.
This also guards against to scalping at the top.
If turning or changing direction quickly the turf gets chewed up. The power and tread are unforgiving.
Some sharp turns cause the deck roller wheels to tear the turf.
I have a mulch deck which doesn't always give a good cut.
If the grass gets a touch high the cut grass clumps badly. The cut grass is not cut up into that small of clipping.
A load of cut grass is suspended up above the blades so the when the mower stops it dumps a big load at that spot.
If continuing onto a driveway, an incredible amount of grass is trailed or dumped there too. A real mess.
I just picked up a couple cans of ethanol free gas today. Wheee doggie, at $4.20/gal it cost almost $10 per mow.
Not the mower's fault, but she may have to drink 10% gas like the old Toro and Harley did.
It is fun to mow now.
I too would buy another.
For a ZTR with a mulch kit sounds like you are letting the grass get too high or cutting within 48 hours of substantial rain. Rule of thumb for mulching is to never cut more than 1/3 the total height of the grass(i.e. if the grass is 3" high set the deck at 2" where cutting 1" of 3" = 1/3). Also, grass by nature has a very high moisure content. If you cut while it is wet after a recent rain that adds to the inability for the mulch system to work properly.

fishbone

Threads
For a ZTR with a mulch kit sounds like you are letting the grass get too high or cutting within 48 hours of substantial rain. Rule of thumb for mulching is to never cut more than 1/3 the total height of the grass(i.e. if the grass is 3" high set the deck at 2" where cutting 1" of 3" = 1/3). Also, grass by nature has a very high moisure content. If you cut while it is wet after a recent rain that adds to the inability for the mulch system to work properly.

You are right with the wet grass deal.
But this is inaddition to that.
Anytime the mower is stopped to reverse, change direction, or whatever, a large 4' wide dump of cut grass is left.
Running out onto the driveway leaves a heavy trail of grass.
It's a messy deal that has not worked out for me.

walker450

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the review Duckman. I may be buying one myself soon!

wdrdoctor

Threads
Do any of you kommander owners use your mower commercially/lawn business? I know it's tech a residential mower,but could this mower be tough enough to mow 15-20 yards per week?

Ragnar4841

Threads
Not here. Just use it to do my 1.75 acres.

While it's a well built unit, it was targeted to residential use. If I were to do that much cutting, I'd go commercial grade. Not to mention you'd be refilling the 4 gal. gas tank constantly for all those jobs.