Toro Recycler will not start

trooper1954

Threads
So guys..........what should I do next? I still don't know where I would find the thermostat that Pug is talking about,or what I should do to test/fix it?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
So guys..........what should I do next? I still don't know where I would find the thermostat that Pug is talking about,or what I should do to test/fix it?

Did you remove a black air vane (small bolt in a plastic part that moves) and spring when removing the carb.

You have to remove the fuel tank and engine cover.
The thermostat is under these and connected to the exhaust.
When the engine is cold the choke is on and once running and engine heats up then the thermostat moves the choke accordingly to engine temp.
There is a slight adjustment on the air vane at the exhaust side.
The thermostat has a what looks like a "&" at the top.
it can be bent so it is in between the 4 notches on the black air vane.
I would start easiest thing 1st and check your spark correctly.
The spark plug cap should be made of metal.
The early ones were common for failing.
They can be replace with a normal terminal and boot.

trooper1954

Threads
Thanks Pug...yes, there is a black plastic vane...I removed the screw but left the spring hooked up while I removed the carb. Is this what you mean? This does not move freely...it seems to be sticking?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20140430-00060.jpg
    IMG-20140430-00060.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG-20140430-00057.jpg
    IMG-20140430-00057.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 54

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes that is the thermostat.

It should be springy but move freely.

What happens is they either dont give enough choke as its stuck when cooling down or it keeps the choke on too long and then floods the engine.

The adjustment is the 4 notches on the black air vane.

trooper1954

Threads
Pug.....are these the adjustment notches your referring to? I cannot find any other marks on the black plastic vane...and FYI when the vane and the arm from the thermostat are disconnected they both move very freely.....how are the two supposed to be connected?

Attachments

• Thermostat.jpg
    Thermostat.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 65

trooper1954

Threads
This is originally where the arm from the thermostat was hooked up, but there doesn't seem to be much of a connection....just seems to hook in place?

Attachments

• thermostat hook up.jpg
    thermostat hook up.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 43

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes they are the notches.

Assuming that the vane and the thermostat are in rest position and the engine is cold then it does look close to the correct adjustment.

The top of the thermostat may require a slight adjustment from right to left in the pic so the curved edge is in between the notches.

You then push it in to engine or out of engine to line up with the other notches.

It does not hook onto anything.

When you push the thermostat to open the choke, when you let go it should then spring back to close choke.

Its quite a simple design but adjustment has to be right.

I still think you may have a spark issue.

trooper1954

Threads
Hmmmmm.....the reason I asked the question about where the arm from the thermostat hooked up to the black vane was simply because when I took it apart, it was hooked on to the vane in the very top corner. Perhaps this has been the issue all along. Just so I'm clear, the arm from the thermostat and the black plastic vane SHOULD NOT be linked together....they work independently??
Thanks for your patience with this BTW.

trooper1954

Threads
BTW....the arrow in the previous post was where the arm from the thermostat was hooked on/joined to the vane.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
You should be able to move the air vane by hand to take choke off and then push thermostat across to vane.
Let go of thermostat which should spring back.
Let go of air vane which should spring back.
Both should not be joined together but the thermostat should be allowed to push vane.