Bought a 2000 725k...

steved

Threads
Hi All:

I recently bought a used 2000 model year 725k with the 61" deck. It had some issues, but I think I got a pretty good deal on it...paid about $1500 less than I have seen other units with a lot more hours go for.

It needed some TLC...the original owner was a farmer's wife who supposedly used it only for trimming. The PO I purchased from indicated it had seen maybe 20 hours of use by him in the past two years...it was bought for his wife, but it was too big for her. The unit only has 650 hours on it.

I figured out there were some things that were worn...deck mount bushings were shot, the from caster wheel bearings were worn, and the blades looked original. So I ordered all of that along with new hardware figuring some was bent or worn. Where has everyone been ordering parts from for these things...I found one place online that seems pretty detailed, but not sure they're cheap by any means. I have a local Grasshopper dealer, but they have to order everything in!

I found the idler pulleys for the deck needed grease, found the idler arms were seized. That took a little bit to figure out. I also learned that, even though there are grease fittings on the front wheels; the bearings from Grasshopper are sealed and won't accept grease. I removed the blades and decided to paint the underside of the deck for the summer since it was fairly clean and dry. I'm waiting on the fiber washers that sandwich the blades so that I can install the new blades. I also found the PO has welded the front air dam onto the main deck shell...I'll need to cut that off this fall (or maybe sooner depending on how well it works). I may need to replace the drive shaft to the deck...the square slip coupling has some play in it and I think that's causing me a vibration.

The PO had recently completely a drain and refill of the hydros using the alternative Mobile DTE-18M oil and new Grasshopper filters. I found the idler pulleys again dry of grease, so I greased those.

Moving to the engine, I changed oil and filter. I found the air filter plugged, and that it had been leaking around the seal...hopefully that doesn't present problems down the road. I also pulled the oil cooler from the engine. Now here's where things get interesting. The cooler had a plate covering the hole in the engine shroud. There was no air blowing across the cooler, so it was pretty much a decoration. So if you haven't checked, make sure you look under the oil cooler.

Overall the unit seems in good condition. I was thinking about trying it out tomorrow, but we are forecast for 4 to 8 inches of snow!

Are there any known problem points on these that need addressing or preventative maintenance more than others???

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It looks as if you have gone over it very close and noted most everything that needs addressed...
Welcome to the forum and it should be good for all of us to have someone that pays attention to details as it seems you do...

There are other Grasshopper folks here that should have some favorite on line sources ...
I am also into good used equipment, quality stuff is much more fun to operate and maintain.... :smile:KennyV

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the Forum, Steve! As Kenny said, it's good to have someone who knows his equipment... there are a few other Grasshopper owners on LMF, hopefully they will chime in and have some ideas.

Please do keep us updated on your progress. Would love to see some photos of your machine. :thumbsup:

173abn

Threads
hi steved,sounds like you have a nice machine.I get all my parts from a KUBOTA dealer that also sells Grasshopper.If he doesn't have the part he orders from the mangf.Fourtunally Grasshopper is made here in Ks. so parts are in next day.I believe you can order online from them.Costwise don't know.On my unit I have 14 greasable points,the PO told me 5!The bearings on my front deck wheels are greasable as are the two tail wheels.the drive shaft has 5pts.the steering arms under the seat have zerks plus the deck spindels.rather than paint the underdeck I treated with a rust inhibiator that bonds with rust and gives a rock solid treatment ,I then sprayed it with this product called Mo-Deck I bought at T.S.C.Don't know if you are aware but those fiber washers for your blades are two per blade with the metal sandwiched between them.I also have a manual which isn't what I expected,not enough detail but better than nothing.Bought that from the mangf. online.The manual says only use Grasshopper fluid in the gemini drive.mine holds 2 gal. and that cost $80.00,pricey but it won't need another for a 1000hrs. as well as the two filters for it.I have a diesel on mine so we differ on that.have fun with your mower as I'm sure you'll love it . russ

steved

Threads
I was thinking about those fiber washers...what is their purpose? Do they act as a clutch and slip if you hit something??

I took it for a spin, it mows well, but I think I got a worn coupler shaft that is causing me a vibration...it only occurs when you engage the PTO, so unless I have a bent PTO shaft; its probably the coupler shaft between the tractor and the deck whipping. I need to further diagnose.

173abn

Threads
steved,not real sure as to the purpose of those washers,might be a way of tourquing down the blades and keeping them tight.when I replaced mine the old ones were pretty worn.On that wobble you might also check those Pillowblock bearings.One is located right behind the pully sheave back by the pto and the other is located up front by the u joint assbly. the drive shaft goes through these bearings.both are greasable.it would take a heck of a hit to bend that driveshaft.also that back pully has a key that fits in a slot on the driveshaft,maybe it's out of wack.keep us updated .how bout a pic or two of your new machine? russ

steved

Threads
SU1HMDAxMDMtMjAxMTAzMjMtMjA0MC5qcGc.jpg

I greased those pillow block bearings...they did take grease. I just need to look under the machine when things are turning, to see if anything is wobbling. I'm still thinking its a worn slip-spline on the driveshaft...it was pretty loose.

Did you ever change the lubricant in the 90* gearbox on the deck??? I'm considering changing it at the end of the mowing season...mine has a plug to drain, I assume you simply tilt the deck up to refill. Looked like typical gear oil.

steved

Threads
Wow, didn't realize how bad that picture was!

173abn

Threads
I've got my deck off right now,put new blades and washers on as well as new belts and skirting.was looking at that gear box and decided to change the lube as it's proably never been done before just haven't done it yet.was looking at your machine and curious as what those two "boxes"are on your deck ,the one on top the other?does your deck have the powerlift?mine is an older model and doesn't have it.after each mowing I run it up on ramps to clean it.I also bought an air powered greasegun to make greasing easier. russ

steved

Threads
Those boxes are for the spindle-driven blower for the grass catcher in the background...

I was told by the local Grasshopper dealer that those gearboxes are sealed for life...I'm going to drain and refill mine at the end of the season.

BTW, mine's a 2000 model year...