Grasshopper 721 Kubota gasoline

bobbysr

Threads
I think the only thing that you have to be careful of , is putting the rotor on the way it came off. It might be "idiot" proof , that it only goes on one way - I can't remember. The cap just snaps on with 2 clips. No timing needed. And of course make sure that the wires go on the correct spots on the cap.

erbowman

Threads
K I may give it a try if I can find the part Monday. No dealer close. Grasshopper dealer hour away not sure about Kubota

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you pull the cap off take a pic so you can put the new one in the same way.

And to not turn the engine over untill the new one is in.

erbowman

Threads
Well this is more like a blog than repair but I hate it when I read forums and no answer ever gets finalized so here is my summary.

I took off carb and distributor cap just to see what if anything looked corroded. I also checked the fuel solenoid with power supply to see if it was responding correctly. While I was doing that the positive terminal broke off of fuel solenoid( not by me but just by moving wire). I repaired by doing some trimming of plastic cover and soldering wire back to solenoid. Also other end of wire broke off. Could tell were it had been arc ing.

I reassembled everything and mowed for about an hour. Looks good so far. I guess I got lucky and found problem. I supose as the mower got hot the metal expanded and made it more difficult to make the connection. I think I am going to pick up a new solenoid just to have on hand if this one degrades any further.

Thanks for every ones advice!

bobbysr

Threads
Glad things worked out. Thats for letting us know!

MBDiagMan

Threads
Have a 721 gasoline Kubota front deck mower. I think its either 1997 or 1998 model. Only made the gasoline kubota a couple years. My problem is it wants to sputter at times. It seems to do it after the engine is warm more than other times. Most of the time its when I make a turn and then start advancing that it seems to want to stall or sometimes when I am going up a hill and for no reason it sputters. Almost like it doesn't have enough HP in reserve. At other times it seems normal.
Also it does not seem to be affected when blades are not engaged.

Any Thoughts?

Your description makes the governor come to mind. Make sure all the linkage is free.

MBDiagMan

Threads
Well this is more like a blog than repair but I hate it when I read forums and no answer ever gets finalized so here is my summary.

I took off carb and distributor cap just to see what if anything looked corroded. I also checked the fuel solenoid with power supply to see if it was responding correctly. While I was doing that the positive terminal broke off of fuel solenoid( not by me but just by moving wire). I repaired by doing some trimming of plastic cover and soldering wire back to solenoid. Also other end of wire broke off. Could tell were it had been arc ing.

I reassembled everything and mowed for about an hour. Looks good so far. I guess I got lucky and found problem. I supose as the mower got hot the metal expanded and made it more difficult to make the connection. I think I am going to pick up a new solenoid just to have on hand if this one degrades any further.

Thanks for every ones advice!

Whoops! Looks like I should have read the whole thread first.

Your experience is more evidence of how valuable a visual inspection can be sometimes.

busybee lawns

Forum Newbie
Threads
Water getting in the distributor cap & router !that was my problem my engine would sputter and only would run right if I pulled the choke clean it replace the cap and seal if neeed.

erbowman

Threads
Well wound up having to replace some module and distributor cap. $150 at dealer. Not bad
Have mowed aprox 3 times. Finished mowing yesterday turned off so I could blow dead grass off and weeadeat etc. Probably hour later attempted to crank. Turned over great but does not seem to fire. I bled the carb out a couple times so I know its getting gas, I am going to check all connections and check resistance on coil.

Might need to check fire in spark plugs. Any other suggestions????