Stihl trimmer trouble starting

Bomba

Threads
My Stihl FS 110 R is just a year old. I love it. It's been great to start up each time I've used it until recently. I've changed the spark plug which worked initially, but now it takes 10-15 pulls to get it going. Any ideas on what might be the problem??

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
My Stihl FS 110 R is just a year old. I love it. It's been great to start up each time I've used it until recently. I've changed the spark plug which worked initially, but now it takes 10-15 pulls to get it going. Any ideas on what might be the problem??

Have you checked the spark arresting screen and replaced the primer bulb?

Last edited:

LoCo86

Threads

Did you let it sit with gas in it all winter long. Carb could need cleaning or the filter could be clogged or the fuel lines may be blocked. Either way you need to look at the fuel system. In my opinion.

Bomba

Threads
Did you let it sit with gas in it all winter long. Carb could need cleaning or the filter could be clogged or the fuel lines may be blocked. Either way you need to look at the fuel system. In my opinion.

Hey LoCo. Yes, I thought I had drained all of the gas but I had not. And, I also should have let it run until it ran out, which I didn't. I guess that's probably it?

Bomba

Threads
I guess I'll take it to my it to my local Stihl dealer. It's just a few miles from me.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey LoCo. Yes, I thought I had drained all of the gas but I had not. And, I also should have let it run until it ran out, which I didn't. I guess that's probably it?

I guess I'll take it to my it to my local Stihl dealer. It's just a few miles from me.

I've got and run the FS 110. Does it fire at all? If that spark arresting screen is plugged with carbon it wont start or run. I'd also pull the gas filter, air filter & primer bulb and change them. These are no more than maintenance issues that can be handled in five minutes by you and at a minimal cost and is exactly what they will do at the shop before anything else and can save you a ton of money. The thing is your going to pay for them one way or the other so why not try yourself first and save a 65 to70$ bench rate if possible.

Bomba

Threads
I've got and run the FS 110. Does it fire at all? If that spark arresting screen is plugged with carbon it wont start or run. I'd also pull the gas filter, air filter & primer bulb and change them. These are no more than maintenance issues that can be handled in five minutes by you and at a minimal cost and is exactly what they will do at the shop before anything else and can save you a ton of money. The thing is your going to pay for them one way or the other so why not try yourself first and save a 65 to70$ bench rate if possible.

When I put the new spark plug in it last week it started on the first pull.

Bomba

Threads
Usually it will fire eventually. I will try the fuel filter and see if that works.

LoCo86

Threads
Usually it will fire eventually. I will try the fuel filter and see if that works.

Had the same problem with my FS130. I put a new spark plug in and it fired right up but then went back to having to use about 15 pulls to get it going. I put a new carb on it after 10 plus years of use and it fires up every time now within 2-3 pulls. But since yours is a newer model maybe you just need to clean out the carb and lines and put some new fuel in it and see how that works. All this is stuff you can do for free, as Ric says, so try all of that before going to your dealer. Like I stated before it sounds like a fuel system issue you just have to find out which part is the trouble.