Stihl trimmer trouble starting

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Had the same problem with my FS130. I put a new spark plug in and it fired right up but then went back to having to use about 15 pulls to get it going. I put a new carb on it after 10 plus years of use and it fires up every time now within 2-3 pulls. But since yours is a newer model maybe you just need to clean out the carb and lines and put some new fuel in it and see how that works. All this is stuff you can do for free, as Ric says, so try all of that before going to your dealer. Like I stated before it sounds like a fuel system issue you just have to find out which part is the trouble.

Can I ask if your using the primer bulb and priming the unit before you try to start it?

LoCo86

Threads
Can I ask if your using the primer bulb and priming the unit before you try to start it?

I only use the primer bulb if the unit runs out of fuel. Other than that I just choke it and it starts right up.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I only use the primer bulb if the unit runs out of fuel. Other than that I just choke it and it starts right up.

The secret with starting a Sthl of any type trimmer, blower or edger is never using the primer. Nine times out of ten using the primer floods the unit. Just use the choke and it will fire in a couple of pulls then turn the choke off and crank it again and it starts right up. Every piece of stihl equipment I own starts the same way.

LoCo86

Threads
The secret with starting a Sthl of any type trimmer, blower or edger is never using the primer. Nine times out of ten using the primer floods the unit. Just use the choke and it will fire in a couple of pulls then turn the choke off and crank it again and it starts right up. Every piece of stihl equipment I own starts the same way.

Yea I found this out the hard way when I first started using Stihl commercial equipment. But to my defense I was 16 and just a novice to this industry.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yea I found this out the hard way when I first started using Stihl commercial equipment. But to my defense I was 16 and just a novice to this industry.

Don't feel like a lone stranger because there are alot of people or users that don't realize it.

Bomba

Threads
Yes, I use the primer bulb for each use. I need to put some fresh fuel in it and look at the carb. I guess I'll buy a new spark plug on the way home. It's very frustrating, especially now at the start of the growing season. I have learned my lesson though. Thanks for all of your input and advice.

LoCo86

Threads
Yes, I use the primer bulb for each use. I need to put some fresh fuel in it and look at the carb. I guess I'll buy a new spark plug on the way home. It's very frustrating, especially now at the start of the growing season. I have learned my lesson though. Thanks for all of your input and advice.

Yea just do it tonight. You should be able to check and fix anything that's wrong in under an hour.

Bomba

Threads
How do I clean the Carb? It won't start at all now, even with new spark plug. Aaahhhh!!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
How do I clean the Carb? It won't start at all now, even with new spark plug. Aaahhhh!!

Try to start the machine, if it doesn't start tyhen pull the new plug and see if it is soaked.

Bomba

Threads
Yes, the plug is wet.