Repairs MTD Yard Machines 20 HP Briggs and Startton

RickS

Threads
Does anyone have any suggestions on getting the belt pulley off from the crankshaft, after it being on there for 13 years? I have tried heating it with my propane torch, which is all that I have at this point. I have tried using a gear puller. I have to get it off because the neighbor poured gas with some water in it while using it at the beginning of winter, so now I have to rebuild the motor. The pulley just doesn't budge at all.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the engine is off the mower hang it from the pulley so the weight of the engine is being supported by the pulley.

Using a punch and hammer drive the engine away from the pulley.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why would water in the gas cause you the have to rebuild the engine?

Mower Doctor 78006

Threads
Clean and flush the gas-tank. Clean and service the carb. Replace fuel filter. Water in gas will cause the engine to run poorly. Not to need a rebuild. If the engine doesn't turn over by hand and that scares you. Pull the spark plug and turn by hand. It prob hydro locked Ie your carb flooded into the crank case.

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting the belt pulley off from the crankshaft, after it being on there for 13 years? I have tried heating it with my propane torch, which is all that I have at this point. I have tried using a gear puller. I have to get it off because the neighbor poured gas with some water in it while using it at the beginning of winter, so now I have to rebuild the motor. The pulley just doesn't budge at all.

RickS

Threads
Why would water in the gas cause you the have to rebuild the engine?

I have not done anything with it since he ran it with water in the gas and I went out on the first nice day and found that it was siezed, so I am rebuilding it.

Ean

Threads
Drain the gas out off the tank and carb put oil in on the cylinder and let it soak for a while then try turning it the water in the gas would not hurt it you don't have to rebuild it just because off water in the gas or be cause it is seized

RickS

Threads
Drain the gas out off the tank and carb put oil in on the cylinder and let it soak for a while then try turning it the water in the gas would not hurt it you don't have to rebuild it just because off water in the gas or be cause it is seized

I still have to get the pulley of because the puller totally bent it out of shape.

mowerman05

Threads

I have a 20 hp briggs out of a mtd on sale for 100.00 on cl,needs a carb kit and it should run fine ,been sitting for a year now