HRX217 Blades - Sharpen?

tuffcalc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all - just purchased an HRX217. I also purchased a spare set of blades. Do these need to be sharpened or are they simply plug and play from the factory (they seem quite dull)?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just put them on. The thick paint that covers the edge will come off and they will be just fine

GatorRay

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just put them on. The thick paint that covers the edge will come off and they will be just fine

I just got a new HRX217VLA mower and was prepared to sharpen the blades with my new belt grinder set up. Much to my surprise, the mower blades were already sharp enough. They don't need to be razor-sharp. Guess I'll wait a while. Still looking for a decent inexpensive torque wrench so as not to over torque the retaining nuts. Anyone have any suggestions about such a torque wrench? I'll likely use it no more than once every year or so.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gator, For once a year you could clip a coupon for an H-Frt clicker($15). I have had them fall apart years ago and swore off them, but recently bought a low inch-pound (5 in lb) because I did not want to spend $100. A very accurate,cheap,and long lasting unit is the old "beam" type sold at Sears. But this style is hard to read lying down as you need to look directly down on the pointer. Any style is better than feel. Sears still offers clickers. I have a 25-250 ft lb unit about 40 years old. On sale they are $60-80.

GatorRay

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gator, For once a year you could clip a coupon for an H-Frt clicker($15). I have had them fall apart years ago and swore off them, but recently bought a low inch-pound (5 in lb) because I did not want to spend $100. A very accurate,cheap,and long lasting unit is the old "beam" type sold at Sears. But this style is hard to read lying down as you need to look directly down on the pointer. Any style is better than feel. Sears still offers clickers. I have a 25-250 ft lb unit about 40 years old. On sale they are $60-80.

Motoman, Any thoughts about TEKTON 24330 3/8-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench, 10-80 Feet Pound, forward (clockwise) torque action only, currently on Amazon for 29.18? Comes in a nice case. It "looks" sturdy. I believe made in Taiwan (doesn't say exactly) but has "Lifetime Support" and contact info shows Grand Rapids, MI phone support and email contact info. One reviewer alleges to work at Honda as a mechanic and uses it all day long...... For my purposes, I shouldn't need the forward and reverse torque wrenches as the cost difference wouldn't be justified. The HF wrench was recently on sale for <$10 but I missed driving across town to get it. HF brand is Pittsburgh Pro and apparently has NO relation to the City in Pennsylvania since it's made in one of the Chinas (Taiwan vs R.O.C.?). Mixed reviews for that brand. Looks like $30 price point is the lowest for any decent quality. Amazon also shows 1/4", 1/2" TEKTON wrenches but more expensive. According to the chart provided, the 1/4" is suitable for smaller engine work including lawnmowers but I'll focus on the lower cost and narrower range of torque and consider the 3/8" first. Gator.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gator, I don't know brand names, but Taiwan stuff is much better than mainland china accross the board. The 3/8 being shorter will be easier to handle on your back, but you will get more use out of the 25-250 over the long haul (tighten flywheel bolt). Pittsburg does make some average stuff and they have been trying for ? 30 years. So even if you missed the $15 special coupon go to any auto sport mag and clip the 20% coupon which appears monthly if you decide to gamble on H Frt.:thumbsup:

GatorRay

Forum Newbie
Threads
Motoman, Any thoughts about TEKTON 24330 3/8-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench, 10-80 Feet Pound, forward (clockwise) torque action only, currently on Amazon for 29.18? Comes in a nice case. It "looks" sturdy. I believe made in Taiwan (doesn't say exactly) but has "Lifetime Support" and contact info shows Grand Rapids, MI phone support and email contact info. One reviewer alleges to work at Honda as a mechanic and uses it all day long...... For my purposes, I shouldn't need the forward and reverse torque wrenches as the cost difference wouldn't be justified. The HF wrench was recently on sale for <$10 but I missed driving across town to get it. HF brand is Pittsburgh Pro and apparently has NO relation to the City in Pennsylvania since it's made in one of the Chinas (Taiwan vs R.O.C.?). Mixed reviews for that brand. Looks like $30 price point is the lowest for any decent quality. Amazon also shows 1/4", 1/2" TEKTON wrenches but more expensive. According to the chart provided, the 1/4" is suitable for smaller engine work including lawnmowers but I'll focus on the lower cost and narrower range of torque and consider the 3/8" first. Gator.

Motoman, would it be a correct assumption that the narrower range torque wrench that I described would be more accurate than the broader range torque wrench at this price point? To be honest, I don't do a whole lot of engine work and I'm primarily purchasing the torque wrench for the nuts holding my mower blades.