Oil on plug

coosmower

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a craftsman 917.376401 mower with the briggs and stratton engine. I had mowed the lawn just a week ago with no problems and today I wen't out to start the mower up and it would not start. I pulled the plug and it was covered in oil. It is about 6 or 7 years old, is it time for a new mower?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a craftsman 917.376401 mower with the briggs and stratton engine. I had mowed the lawn just a week ago with no problems and today I wen't out to start the mower up and it would not start. I pulled the plug and it was covered in oil. It is about 6 or 7 years old, is it time for a new mower?

Now that depends on the mower. Just try a new spark plug, less then 5 dollars. To me a seven year old mower isn't old and would still have many more years of use.

coosmower

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was told to try a new head gasket and plug. I cleaned the plug that was in it and just in two pulls it was covered in oil again.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check the oil level, and see if the oil smells like gas.

Then drain oil and rebuild the carb....

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was told to try a new head gasket and plug. I cleaned the plug that was in it and just in two pulls it was covered in oil again.

Replace the plug not clean. Fish is right, check your oil level and also your air filter.

Ean

Threads
If it is over filled with oil it will do this could be the head gasket if it has low compresion could be a bad ring

coosmower

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I cleaned the plug off again put the old gasket back on and it started first pull but i noticed it was getting super hot and kind of smoked when i shut it off.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
So I cleaned the plug off again put the old gasket back on and it started first pull but i noticed it was getting super hot and kind of smoked when i shut it off.

What gasket are you talking about?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
And why did you remove the head? And if so why are you using used parts? As I see it you just cleaned the plug for the second time and it started for you. Just why do you think it is getting hot when you turn it off and where is the smoke coming from?